PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow wireless connection, please help!

pellpell4
January 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM
So I'll try to make a long story short.

Basically, Windows failed on me 3 months ago and I didn't have my product key to reinstall it so I turned to Ubuntu. My internet has always worked perfect and fast with no issues. I've asked this question on a few forums already and still have yet to get an answer that makes sense, here is my issue...

I just moved into an apartment and brought my router with me. At my parents' house I used the same router with Comcast Cable and everything worked BEAUTIFULLY. At the apartment I have ATT DSL (****** I know, but I didn't have a choice). I hooked up the router and when I connect wirelessly it takes LITERALLY about 7 minutes to load up a page.

Now, before you blame the DSL or my wireless card, please note that every other PC which has connected to my router has not had an issue at all (speedtests pull around 4mbps on average for DL speed). Also, when I connect at work or Panera via wireless with my laptop, the connection is perfect!

So the issue at hand, is this...why does my computer go EXTREMELY slow when connected wirelessly to ONLY my router, and if there's no good answer...then where do I start troubleshooting? I used to work tech support for a few companies, I know all the basics, I've connected into the modem directly (works perfect). It's just this laptop. doesn't seem to like the router anymore or vice-versa... any help would be appreciated, thank you!