PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 does not load after updates. "No init found."

erudite
January 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hello,

I updated ubuntu (10.10) today after not doing so in a while and there was an error after it had done most of the updates. However, foolishly, I payed little attention to this and i rebooted my computer for the rest of updates to take effect and received the error:

No init found. Try passing init= bootarg

I received this error no matter which kernel I tried...

After researching i downloaded and installed the iso onto USB stick. This however also failed because for some reason it did not know the location of vmlinuz and initrd.lz....

However, when i inserted the code so it would know the location of these files it loads somewhat but eventually comes up with the same "init" error. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

kjz5440
January 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Have you had any luck?

I have a similar problem. I downloaded and installed all the updates in 10.04 before installing 10.10. I get a blank screen, but I hear the 'drum beat' sound from my speakers at the login screen. When I downloaded and burned a copy of 10.10 to a CD, I get the init error you're getting.

Do you have a separate video card on your computer? I was wondering if that is the problem.

Kevin

nachfolger
February 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
The same problem here, just happened yesterday. No kernal will boot including recovery. I am a bit of a novice, so if anybody has fixed this and can provide a walk through that would be great.

erudite
March 28th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah I fixed with it with fsck on partition magic live cd.

I'm guessing you sorted the problem nachfolger?

Thanks for the replies though.