PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Domain Setup | Home Based Web Server

cold.nut
January 18th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Hey guys ;)

I have setup a home based web server to host a photo blog for myself and my friends. I will be running wordpress and possibly a phpbb3 forum. I'd like to open this to discuss server administration, server setup, and server maintenance. However, I have a pretty good start on all of those but serving a domain name to my static ip.

Here my static ip is 24.10.202.144. I registered a domain through godaddy.com (coldnut.com). It appears that I have the domain working to forward to my ip. However, I am still getting this output file from apache.

administrator@server:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
sudo: unable to resolve host coldnut.com
* Restarting web server apache2 apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for coldnut.com
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
... waiting apache2: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for coldnut.com
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
[ OK ]
administrator@server:~$Notice: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

I have tested the domain name across a few different computers on different ips. It works appropriately. I just want to make sure I have it set correctly on the (apache) server side of things. Then I can get more into Zone Editing etc..

But for now, how about some input!

Thanks in advance guys! Great community over here \\:D/

cold.nut
January 19th, 2011, 01:22 AM
bump for assistance! ;)

volkswagner
January 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM
What's the output of the following commands?

hostname

hostname -f

cat /etc/hosts

You can try to simply edit /etc/hosts by adding one line such as the following.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx servername servername.coldnut.com

Replace the above with your static ip, output from hostname, and output from hostname -f. If both hostname and hostname -f yield the same result, you only need one entry with the ip above.

Having hostname and hostname -f, match is recommended by some, but is beyond my expertise to tell you how to accomplish it.

cold.nut
January 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
hostname & hostname -f were the same. however, i made this adjust and it doesn't give me the error anymore! :D

Old Code:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 www.coldnut.com (http://www.coldnut.com) server

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allroutersNew Code:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 server.coldnut.com

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
worked like a charm! easy fix, thanks!

cold.nut
January 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Now I need to figure out how to create variables to forward my domain to a subdomain. So I can access blog through blog.coldnut.com etc..

I will stay in touch! :)

volkswagner
January 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
For a subdomain you will make a DNS entry at godaddy. Make an A record or CNAME for your sub, pointing to your static ip.

Then create an Apache2 virtual host for the sub domain, Apache2 will sort the requests.

volkswagner
January 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM
For a subdomain you will make a DNS entry at godaddy. Make an A record or CNAME for your sub, pointing to your static ip.

Then create an Apache2 virtual host for the sub domain, Apache2 will sort the requests.

volkswagner
January 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM

volkswagner
January 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM
EDIT: Ouch... server error... Did not mean to post sooooo many times.

cold.nut
January 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM

thanks! sounds good ;)

shouldn't be too difficult. just need to get my wordpress blog working now.

i have wordpress 3.0.4 uploaded to my default website directory /var/www. it won't let me update or install themes though. it asks for my ftp credentials. however, i have all ports blocked but 22 (SSH) and 80 (HTTP). So, ftp obviously wont work. But I shouldn't need ftp credentials to auto update or to install themes. I have also tried giving 777 permissions to the wp-content folder and subfolders.

cold.nut
January 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
wordpress correctly configured!

sudo chown -R www-data: /var/www

worked like a charm! i was a little confused on the use of chown. got it all figured out now though. check it out if you would like! www.coldnut.com

if you find any security risks etc.. let me know! from here i plan on making a static link on my blog to my forums. www.coldnut.com/forums

i am pumped! :) thanks for the help guys!

cold.nut