PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fingerprint Readers Working in 10.10!

thomasaaron
January 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT!

Integrated fingerprint readers now work on all System76 machines running Ubuntu 10.10!

Full instructions are here (http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Fingerprint_Reader_Usage).

tersogar
January 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Works perfect, even in Lucid. Thanks System76.

Cygnia
January 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
It doesn't work for me on my PanP4n running Maverick. It accepts my fingerprint with a check mark and "OK", but then nothing happens for several minutes (the "Next" button is grayed out.) Then a dialog pops up with the message that the fingerprint wasn't saved.

Cygnia
January 19th, 2011, 05:50 PM
It doesn't work for me on my PanP4n running Maverick. It accepts my fingerprint with a check mark and "OK", but then nothing happens for several minutes (the "Next" button is grayed out.) Then a dialog pops up with the message that the fingerprint wasn't saved.

Cygnia
January 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Cygnia
January 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM

HotShotDJ
January 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM
It doesn't work for me on my PanP4n running Maverick. It accepts my fingerprint with a check mark and "OK", but then nothing happens for several minutes (the "Next" button is grayed out.) Then a dialog pops up with the message that the fingerprint wasn't saved.It should be asking you to swipe your finger again. For me, it asked 3 times (each time giving the check mark and "OK."). It works perfectly on my PanP5.

tschlemmer
January 20th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I have 10.10 installed on my panp5 laptop and while I can successfully scan my fingerprint and save it on the disk still have to enter my password for "sudo" commands.

isantop
January 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Have you logged out and logged back in? If not, that's what's holding you back.

pafufta503
January 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM
It works for me too. I swipe my finger, it logs my user in, but then I get a dialog that says "Enter password to unlock login keyring". Then I enter my password. It is mildly redundant, I would like to finger swipe to login and not have to enter my password.

marshmallow1304
January 21st, 2011, 02:42 AM
It looks like it should work, but when I try to scan in a fingerprint I get 5 OKs across the board followed by a "Fingerprint failed" dialog.

Also, if anyone else happens to be using Gentoo, there's a preliminary ebuild available here (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341105).

isantop
January 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM
Can you please open a terminal and run this command:

lsusb

Send me the output.

tschlemmer
January 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
Have you logged out and logged back in? If not, that's what's holding you back.
When I lock the screen the I can ether enter my password or it has a animated graphic showing that I can swipe my finger. When I swipe my fingerprint it just sits there saying "ready..." and doesn't do anything. I have logged out and back in numerous times as well.

HotShotDJ
January 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
It works for me too. I swipe my finger, it logs my user in, but then I get a dialog that says "Enter password to unlock login keyring". Then I enter my password. It is mildly redundant, I would like to finger swipe to login and not have to enter my password.This is because, for technical reasons, using your fingerprint to login does not unlock the gnome-keyring. See: http://www.n-view.net/Appliance/fingerprint/doc/Manual_en.html
If you use fingerprints for log-on to your system, no password is entered, since you were detected on the basis of your fingerprint. Depending on the configuration of your system a password might be needed to decrypt important data. For example this is the case if your home directory or the gnome-keyring is encrypted with your login password.

marshmallow1304
January 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Relevant output from lsusb:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 147e:2016 Upek Biometric Touchchip/Touchstrip Fingerprint Sensor

IAmWhatWasDavidBowman
January 24th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I get the fingerprint not saved message on my PanP7. I tried removing it, but no luck.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 147e:1000 Upek

sudo apt-get remove fingerprint-gui
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libbonoboui2-0: Depends: libgnome2-0 (>= 2.17.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

pafufta503
January 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM
This is because, for technical reasons, using your fingerprint to login does not unlock the gnome-keyring. See: http://www.n-view.net/Appliance/fingerprint/doc/Manual_en.htmlKDE would not have this problem? once i enter my password i can fingerswipe for anything, screensavers, terminal sudo, synaptic, etc. it's pretty smooth, i just hope noone takes a mold of my fingerprint while i am sleeping, or worse cut my finger off to gain access to my computer! this is some serious james bond technology, i am really enjoying this feature.

HotShotDJ
January 27th, 2011, 11:36 PM
KDE would not have this problem?I don't know how these issues are handled under KDE. I only have one computer with KDE installed and it doesn't have a fingerprint reader, so I haven't looked into any issues that may or may not be present with fingerprint-gui under KDE.

hamstap85
January 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT!

Integrated fingerprint readers now work on all System76 machines running Ubuntu 10.10!

Full instructions are here (http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Fingerprint_Reader_Usage).
On my panp7, before I followed the instructions, Fingerprint GUI was installed (didn't catch the version# unfortunately), but when I would go to the Scan/Verify tab, it would immediately raise an error message box without waiting any time at all, that said:

Could not open fingerprint device.
Permission problem?

Now that I did the process, it goes to the tab, and I have time to swipe my finger, however after about a second, it goes back to the first tab and displays the same error message. What the hell is going on!!?

IAmWhatWasDavidBowman
January 30th, 2011, 06:44 AM
On my panp7, before I followed the instructions, Fingerprint GUI was installed (didn't catch the version# unfortunately), but when I would go to the Scan/Verify tab, it would immediately raise an error message box without waiting any time at all, that said:

Could not open fingerprint device.
Permission problem?

Now that I did the process, it goes to the tab, and I have time to swipe my finger, however after about a second, it goes back to the first tab and displays the same error message. What the hell is going on!!?

I've seen the same thing. I actually have two different Fingerprint GUI icons in my System > Preferences menu. The two different commands that are initiated are:

"fingerprint-gui debug" - gives that "Permission problem" message
"fingerprintGUI --debug" - just doesn't work for me. Won't save the fingerprint.

I should mention that I'm on Lucid.

isantop
January 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Have you guys tried installing Fingerprint Reader support before? If so, you'll want to completely remove everything from both attempts, then try again, as some files may be conflicting with each other.

IAmWhatWasDavidBowman
February 4th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Have you guys tried installing Fingerprint Reader support before? If so, you'll want to completely remove everything from both attempts, then try again, as some files may be conflicting with each other.

Hey isantop. Thanks for the suggestion. I did have the Fingerprint Reader support installed before. I see two menu entries for the GUI. Since they specified different executables, I tried removing both. This is what I get when I try to remove them:

phil@tux:~$ sudo apt-get remove fingerprint-gui
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libbonoboui2-0: Depends: libgnome2-0 (>= 2.17.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
phil@tux:~$ sudo apt-get remove fingerprintGUI
Building dependency tree
E: Couldn't find package fingerprintGUI

As you can see from the terminal output, the second package says it doesn't exist, but both menu entries will launch the Fingerprint Reader GUI.

Any advice you could offer is appreciated!

tschlemmer
February 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM
This is because, for technical reasons, using your fingerprint to login does not unlock the gnome-keyring. See: http://www.n-view.net/Appliance/fingerprint/doc/Manual_en.html

What I did was the following:

1) uninstall the fingerprint-gui
2) sudo pam-auth-update --force
3) Reinstalled the fingerprint-gui package
4) Rescanned my fingerprint.

It is working now. When I lock the screen I simply need to swipe my finger to unlock the screen now. I believe the issue was solved due to me running the "pam-auth-update --force" command first before reinstalling the package.

IAmWhatWasDavidBowman
February 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I would try this, but I can't even get step 1 to work for me. isantop?

isantop
February 18th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Here's the instructions you followed to install the fingerprint reader software:

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Fingerprint_Reader_Installation

So, you'll want to:

Create a working directory:

mkdir fpreader
cd fpreader

Revert the Pam changes

sudo cp /etc/pam.d/common-auth_orig

Remove Fprint Demo

wget http://projects.reactivated.net/snapshots/fprint_demo/fprint_demo-20080319-5d86c3f7.tar.bz2
tar xjf fprint_demo-20080319-5d86c3f7.tar.bz2
cd fprint_demo-20080319-5d86c3f7/
sh autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make uninstall
cd ..

Remove pam_fprint

wget http://projects.reactivated.net/snapshots/pam_fprint/pam_fprint-20080330-5452ea09.tar.bz2
tar xjf pam_fprint-20080330-5452ea09.tar.bz2
cd pam_fprint-20080330-5452ea09/
sh autogen.sh
make
sudo make uninstall
cd ..

Remove fprint

wget http://projects.reactivated.net/snapshots/libfprint/libfprint-20080810-6b8b17f5.tar.bz2
tar xjf libfprint-20080810-6b8b17f5.tar.bz2
cd libfprint-20080810-6b8b17f5/
sh autogen.sh
make
sudo make uninstall
cd ..

Remove libusb

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/libusb/libusb-0.9.2.tar.bz2?modtime=1216505974&big_mirror=0
tar xjf libusb-0.9.2.tar.bz2
cd libusb-0.9.2/
make
sudo make uninstall
cd ..

Then give it a try.

IAmWhatWasDavidBowman
February 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
isantop,

I tried waiting several days to see if the site would come back up, but the http://projects.reactivated.net domain seems to be down.

Can you possibly point me to a mirror?

Thanks again,

Dave

janlan
February 24th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I have Lenovo Ideapad v460 but my fingerprint scanner is not listed in Fingerprint GUI. Can someone help?

isantop
February 24th, 2011, 12:41 AM
@janlan: This fix is for System76 computers only. While I'm not saying it definitely won't work on other systems, we don't test with them, and obviously can't support them. You may want to try posting your question in the hardware sub-forum.

@IAmWhatWasDavidBowman: Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any exist. Do you still have the original working directory? If so, then you can use the files there. If not, I'm not sure where you can get them.

safira18
February 25th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I accept with information: It doesn't work for me on my PanP4n running Maverick. It accepts my fingerprint with a check mark and "OK", but then nothing happens for several minutes (the "Next" button is grayed out.) Then a dialog pops up with the message that the fingerprint wasn't saved.

DedMoroz
March 2nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
So this will not work if the /home directory is encrypted? My sis has a Sys76 laptop with the fingerprint scanner. Now I would hate to tell her its not possible :|

isantop
March 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
It may not work with an encrypted /home, but it should be fine with an encrypted ~/Private folder. That's probably a better option anyway, as it makes recovering your files much easier in the event of a problem.

capitalfear
March 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM
hasn't worked since i bought my pangolin...thanks, this will shave off an hour of my life by the time i die from entering my password

aranaea
March 25th, 2011, 07:24 AM
So this will not work if the /home directory is encrypted? My sis has a Sys76 laptop with the fingerprint scanner. Now I would hate to tell her its not possible :|

This works great on my Serval Pro. In the fingerprint GUI you need to do the setup under the "Password" tab. I put the encrypted password on a USB stick on my keychain and it's not asking me for my password at all. Just swipe and go.

aranaea
April 29th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I've just upgraded my serval pro to 11.04 and, while the fingerprint scanner still works for logging in, it no longer works when I launch an application that needs sudo access, like the Software Center. It prompts for a password but it no longer prompts me to scan my finger print. Anyone else having this issue?

isantop
April 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM
This is a known issue, and we're working on getting it resolved. We should have a fix available soon, but in the meantime, I'd suggest removing the fingerprint reader support for now:

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Fingerprint_Reader_Usage#Removal

scarey9
May 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
it works for everything except when i run sudo (or gksudo) in a terminal, otherwise no problems.

slavinzing56
August 8th, 2011, 04:10 PM

isantop
August 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
when you input your fingerprints, you need to swipe them in several times to give the system a chance to learn what they look like. Can you try swiping it again.

CaptSaltyJack
August 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Does the fingerprint reader really not work with an encrypted home folder? Kind of a bummer.. any plans to address this? (if it's even possible)

aranaea
October 20th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Is there a chance that the finger print reader will be working in 11.10 any time soon?

CaptSaltyJack
October 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'd like to hear an answer on this too. I have a problem with features being advertised that actually do not work. Not that I NEEDED a fingerprint reader, but still. If it was known to not work in Ubuntu 11.04, I don't think System76 should've advertised it on their site.

isantop
October 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
They were set to work in 11.10, but the changes to Gnome 3 broke a lot of the support for a bunch of PAM modules (Which is how the fingerprint readers work). We're working on getting them working now in 11.10, but it might be until 12.04 that we really get them working solidly.