PDA

View Full Version : Do you do IT work on the side?

Roasted
January 14th, 2011, 03:33 PM
If so, how do you advertise it? I've been doing it on the side for home users for the last 3-4 months, and it's been really slow. I wish it would pick up. I've built a web site using wordpress and gotten it hosted with a domain, which has all of the services I can do on there and a LOT of reference points, since a lot of users aren't sure what exactly java is or how flash interacts with your computer, as well as a free/OSS section for alternative software for users, such as Gimp, OpenOffice, etc.

I've also made postings and printed them out and posted them in every laundry and grocery store in the area. My next thought is to get a custom bumper sticker made, just because... well why not?

I thought about business cards but I find I don't frequently "run into" people where business cards are handy, but that's something I've definitely thought about to just keep on hand. Then again, it's easy enough to reference the web site I made since it has my number on it, email, etc.

I've posted on Craigslist but I've gotten flagged on there as spam. My buddy had seen the same thing, and the common idea was that people are trying to eliminate competition so they're flagging it accordingly.

I've also thought about posting in the newspaper or the local advertiser. The local advertiser costs 20 bucks a week to post in it, so I thought about posting it one week a month for a while and see how it goes.

Aside from that, the BEST way people have heard about me is word of mouth. I've only gotten ONE call from the posting in grocery stores and whatnot. It's a little frustrating, because I am trying to work as much as possible to make up some cash for bills and it feels like I'm fishing with no bait.

Is there any other ideas I'm missing that may help?

VastOne
January 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Aside from that, the BEST way people have heard about me is word of mouth. I've only gotten ONE call from the posting in grocery stores and whatnot. It's a little frustrating, because I am trying to work as much as possible to make up some cash for bills and it feels like I'm fishing with no bait.

Is there any other ideas I'm missing that may help?

For years I have been doing this work in a very small community where I am from. The word of mouth method really is your best bet, and the best way to encourage that is by doing some work as a donation.

I have gone to small businesses, churches, schools and community centers and donated my time and services. The more people you have working for you promoting your work word of mouth, the better. When someone sees the quality of your work in charitable means, the rest will come easily..

Another thing that helps me is having a sliding rate scale... I have prices for a "home visit repair", a bring it to me repair, a small business, large business and a non profit business rate..

I also know the competitions rates and for me, I can live very comfortably for half the hourly rate they are using..

Good Luck

linuxforartists
January 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm in a similar boat. I'm learning web design and trying to start my career and get paid work.

Definitely print some business cards. Go to networking events. Yes, you run into annoying people sometimes, but clients are 100 times more likely to hire someone they've met in person.

Really try to focus on building a rapport with the people you meet. Don't just try to see if they have any job openings and shove your resume at them. Don't exchange business cards until the conversation is about to die down.

But do collect business cards. Follow up with e-mails the next day. Pass along news articles you think they would be interested in.

Work for free. This is the fast-track to getting real-world experience. But be VERY selective about which project you choose to get involved in. Make sure you get significant non-financial rewards out of it, e.g. exposure, prestige, connections etc. Don't get taken advantage of.

When you do get an assignment, really go all-out. Under-promise and over-deliver like hell. WOW your customers and they will recommend you to their friends.

Only part-way through this process myself. I'm currently working for free to build a website for a well-known tech nonprofit.

Good luck!

Sean Moran
January 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
If you're a one-man-band then WoM is the most cost effective advertising. and if you can stand out as a bit of a guru (often good luck in a solution and a customer with a good memory and lots of trusing friends and/or gossip-disorder), you'll likely get 50-80% of business through the exponential effects of WoM after a few seasons.

However, if you're thinking big, then hire someone or two part-time contract to fill in when you're occupied with other things (like sleeping) and look around at the local AM radio stations that cater to easy-listening baby-boomers. That's where the money is, and that's also where the most likelihood of someone who can afford to buy technology that they don't have a hope of understanding listens to their favourite 70's pop classics or talkback while they're cleaning up the kitchen after breakfast.

When you have found a possible target in the way of an el-cheapo radio station, then upscale your facade and offer them discounted IT support in return for a 15 second ad after the 9am news, or maybe just get a decent price for a month or two.

Keep in mind that dunderheads with lots of spare Visa cards are the key to any successful business in the industrial world of today, and you'll get your airtime. Also don't forget that a little nepotism goes a long way.

Roasted
January 16th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I'm not thinking on too big of a scale, although I wouldn't sneeze if somebody brought it up with me. I feel as though I have learned a tremendous amount at my current job, with mass imaging hundreds of computers, installing OS's and software of all varieties, running cable and setting up wireless, etc. I feel like anything at the home level would be easy pickin's for some quick cash, yet at the same time if I charge a flat rate of like 50 bucks per visit, it may be appealing to clients as well who would be looking at a much larger bill had they gone to Best Buy or Staples or something.

I tried to outline this on my web site, about where I graduated from and what kind of work I do on a day to day basis, hoping to seal the deal with anybody who saw my posting in a grocery store, got curious, went to the site, and realized oh this isn't just some 13 year old who can replace a hard drive.

It's just getting to the point of trying to save up for a house and pay off bills and I hate to get a 2nd job with a schedule I have to commit to UNLESS I can make IT side work fly with colors. I hate to commit to a second job simply because my primary job now can have bouncy hours as it is. If something blows up, I might be there till 11 that night. I hate to have to juggle two jobs in that scenario, but side work might be a little easier to handle since jobs that HAVE called me are always last second "oh yeah I can do that, I'll be over in an hour" type thing.

But anyway, like I said, just trying to brew up more ideas. I feel like I've exhausted quite a lot but I'm just not getting the number of calls I'd prefer.