PDA

View Full Version : Now I have Cable DVR, how will this work?

dkhajavi@gmail.com
January 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
OK guys I am now back from Central America where Mythbuntu was my only option for a DVR but now I have Digital Cable HD DVR looking at me. Can MB be set-up to no longer delay the passthough decoding since the Cable box will be doing the DVR functions?

Also the DVR does not like my Sony Plasma PFM-42V1 as it puts up an error that there is no compatable resolution when I try to run HD. The cable company has given up. I am not sure if I can fix this using MB or not. Interestingly a standard non-DVR box from the cable company works fine with the TV. Any input on this?

I guess in general I am looking for system set-up advise. Below is my system specs:

Ahanix Aluminum case
ASUS MB with Quad Core i7 3.2
8 Gigs of fast RAM
Dual Nvidia 8800GT cards in SLI
1200W power
256MB SSD for Mythbuntu System
Dual 2TB Data Drives
Hauppauge 150 tuner (I also have a 950Q that I cant get to work so far)
Full water cooling system with external radiator (no fans)
Sony DVD drive (soon to be changed to Blue-ray)
TV is 42" Plasma Sony (PFM-42V1) running on DVI

Thanks in advance guys!

thatguruguy
January 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
OK guys I am now back from Central America where Mythbuntu was my only option for a DVR but now I have Digital Cable HD DVR looking at me. Can MB be set-up to no longer delay the passthough decoding since the Cable box will be doing the DVR functions?

Also the DVR does not like my Sony Plasma PFM-42V1 as it puts up an error that there is no compatable resolution when I try to run HD. The cable company has given up. I am not sure if I can fix this using MB or not. Interestingly a standard non-DVR box from the cable company works fine with the TV. Any input on this?

I guess in general I am looking for system set-up advise. Below is my system specs:

Ahanix Aluminum case
ASUS MB with Quad Core i7 3.2
8 Gigs of fast RAM
Dual Nvidia 8800GT cards in SLI
1200W power
256MB SSD for Mythbuntu System
Dual 2TB Data Drives
Hauppauge 150 tuner (I also have a 950Q that I cant get to work so far)
Full water cooling system with external radiator (no fans)
Sony DVD drive (soon to be changed to Blue-ray)
TV is 42" Plasma Sony (PFM-42V1) running on DVI

Thanks in advance guys!

I don't understand the benefit of paying for a DVR when you already have a mythtv system set up, particularly when the DVR you're paying for doesn't work well with your TV. My advice would be to ditch the DVR from the cable company.

Also, I posted a howto on the 950Q which may be of some help to you.

dkhajavi@gmail.com
January 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks for your input.

The DVR is included and I did check and there in no discount if I go with a standard HD Cable box. But end of the day I am leaning toward your suggestion.

Is the 950Q a good choice for Cable HD?

thatguruguy
January 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
It works for me, but YMMV. Streaming an mpg stream (which is essentially what digital cable is) is a lot less hardware-intensive than decoding an analog stream. However, the actual display of the HD stream is much more cpu intensive. Given your setup, you shouldn't have any problem with that, though.

thatguruguy
January 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
It works for me, but YMMV. Streaming an mpg stream (which is essentially what digital cable is) is a lot less hardware-intensive than decoding an analog stream. However, the actual display of the HD stream is much more cpu intensive. Given your setup, you shouldn't have any problem with that, though.