PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Maverick Server Login Screen?

bryanfblareunion
January 14th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I have a web server running Ubuntu Maverick (server) and I want to change the screen that I get when I login. After you enter username and pass. I think by default it says "Welcome to Ubuntu!" then gives a help page or something. I know there is a way to change this but I have no idea where this file is located.... Thanks in advance.

Thirtysixway
January 14th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I have a web server running Ubuntu Maverick (server) and I want to change the screen that I get when I login. After you enter username and pass. I think by default it says "Welcome to Ubuntu!" then gives a help page or something. I know there is a way to change this but I have no idea where this file is located.... Thanks in advance.

It's called the motd, message of the day

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-change-message-of-the-day-motd-in-ubuntu-server.html

sj1410
January 14th, 2011, 06:00 AM
you can also change the text on the logon window, add some notices, etc.. just change the

/etc/issue file

James78
January 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
In addition, you can also tack anything you want to the very end by creating the file /etc/motd.tail and putting something in it. (Also mentioned briefly in the link given earlier I believe)