PDA

View Full Version : Would you read an history of the Open Source movement?

madhi19
January 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Am considering starting a community project to write the History of the Open Source movement from the users and coders perspective.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM
You might want to check out Glyn Moody's book Rebel Code, which was written in the early 2000s. It's pretty well the free software movement up to then, from its humble beginnings around the world.
Highly recommended: it's really informative and fun to read :)

slackthumbz
January 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I voted 'no' simply because the history of FL/OSS is already pretty well documented.

NMFTM
January 12th, 2011, 06:09 PM
You might want to check out Glyn Moody's book Rebel Code,
Or the documentary Revolution OS.

MisterGaribaldi
January 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Would you read an history of the Open Source movement?

No, but I would read a history of the Open Source movement.

Are you interested in the History of the Open Source Movement?
[X] yes
[_] no
[_] Don't know??

Here's my question: Why should there be a "Don't Know" option in a poll of this kind? I mean, are there really people out there who don't know what they're interested in? How ignorant or shallow a person are we talking about (or catering to) here?

It's bad enough we have the "undecided" voter in political venues; it's even worse to have people that uninvolved in their own lives. What do they do, fly on automatic pilot? :p

Spice Weasel
January 12th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Here's my question: Why should there be a "Don't Know" option in a poll of this kind? I mean, are there really people out there who don't know what they're interested in? How ignorant or shallow a person are we talking about (or catering to) here?

It's bad enough we have the "undecided" voter in political venues; it's even worse to have people that uninvolved in their own lives. What do they do, fly on automatic pilot? :p

I took the Don't Know?? option to mean "I might, but it would depend on the quality of the work".