PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype or similar program for Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit

alemariscal
January 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Is it possible to install Skype for Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit?? or a similar program??? if so, can someone please explain to me how to do it...thank you!:confused:

squaregoldfish
January 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
You can get Skype from the Skype website.

sriramrangan
January 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yes,it is. Go to this link: http://goo.gl/Ogj1B, Then download skype. Then,go to the folder you downloaded the file to and double click on the file.

alemariscal
January 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
the download button takes me to the option of downloading skype for 64bit or 32bit BUT FOR VERSION 8.10 and i have version 8.04

squaregoldfish
January 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
So it does. In that case, you can download and install the Static version (the last link in the group). This will contain Skype along with all the libraries it requires.

It looks like the package is a bzip2 file. Download it, uncompress it and move the extracted directory into /usr/local.

You'll have to make sure the skype executable is in the system path - the easiest way is to create a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin.

(Note that you'll need sudo access to do stuff in /usr/local)

HTH
Steve.

alemariscal
January 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
steve thank you so much, but i'm new to ubuntu so you kinda lost me where i have to make a symbolic link????

squaregoldfish
January 13th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Symbolic links are roughly equivalent to shortcuts in Windows.

By default, Linux will only run programs in certain pre-specified directories, and your newly installed Skype won't be one of them. So, to make Skype runnable, the easiest thing to do is create a symbolic link in one of the runnable locations.

Now, you need to find out what the executable for Skype is called. It's probably just called skype. Assuming you put the Skype directory in /usr/local, we want to create the symbolic link in /usr/local/bin. To do this, change to the directory where you want the link (in this case, /usr/local/bin), and enter the command:

sudo ln -s /usr/local/<skype dir>/skype .

This creates a link to the skype executable in the current location (i.e. /usr/local/bin). Because it's a directory owned by root, you have to run sudo to get permission to create the link.

That should be it!

Steve.

dFlyer
January 14th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Is there any reason why you don't update to a more recent version of Ubuntu??