PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [HELP] phpBB3 on Ubuntu server 10.04

MurdR93
January 11th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Okay, iv been searching google and all instruction guides but i keep having problems installing phpbb, i had all the necessary components installed to be able to run phpbb, and now im simply re-installing phpbb on my server system, i have already transfered all the files to my server and when i browse to the directory of the phpbb , it redirects me to the /install/ directory automaticly, then it shows "Internal server error (500)" im not sure what i did wrong, please help me, also sorry about my grammer or misspelling, im in a hurry

CharlesA
January 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM
If phpbb3 is already set up, you need to remove the install directory IIRC.

James78
January 11th, 2011, 02:20 PM
If doing what CharlesA said doesn't work (it should work though by the sounds of it); see if there are any errors and problems in /var/log/apache2/error.log, or if your VirtualHost has a custom ErrorLog directive, use that log file instead.

MurdR93
January 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I have already removed the directory from /www, all that remains is nothing.
I have tryed to retransfer the files yesterday, all fresh redownloaded and extracted, and when i browsed to the directory, the message remains

Thirtysixway
January 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/phpbb3
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PhpBB3
if you want to install via apt-get

CharlesA
January 12th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Do you have PHP5 installed?

MurdR93
January 12th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Thank you so much, that really helped =D

MurdR93
January 12th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I had all the required components installed.

CharlesA
January 12th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Hrm. Did installing it from the repos get it working?

Thirtysixway
January 12th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Only thing is if you run it from the repos, it's in Universe so it's not guaranteed to be updated right away with new security updates.

MurdR93
January 12th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Yea, I got it set up just right from the repos, PhpBB usually has the option to update itself through the Admin panel.

MurdR93
January 12th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Now, I noticed that when I install it through aptitude, it installs it to the /usr/share/ dir as usual, but when you use ln -s /usr/shar/blah /var/www/blah is it insecure having something linked to the usr/share from www?

Thirtysixway
January 12th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Now, I noticed that when I install it through aptitude, it installs it to the /usr/share/ dir as usual, but when you use ln -s /usr/shar/blah /var/www/blah is it insecure having something linked to the usr/share from www?

You should be fine, it's not insecure.