PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] RAID array's size incorrect

5ER
January 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I set up a RAID0 array consisting of two 1.5 TB hard drives. The size reported in the SATA chip's user interface is 3000470MB.
But when I go to Linux and open up a partitioning tool, I see two separate drives.
If I run "dmraid -a y" and check any partitioning tool, I see the RAID array instead of the two separate drives, but its capacity is 745 GiB.
I'm trying to make a GUID partition table and a 3TB partition on it, but this issue is preventing me from doing so.

My motherboard (Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe) has two SATA controllers: AMD SB600 and Marvell 6121. Same problem on both.

I have tried two distributions: Mandriva 2010.2 and Fedora 14. No difference.

If this info is of any use:
-Windows XP does not see the array
-All partitioning tools in Windows XP have problems with the array's size, but they all report the size around 2TiB, which is probably the fault of MBR's limit.
-Windows 7 installer detects the size correctly, but can't create a partition big enough due to the MBR limit.
-If the array is set to be smaller than 2TiB and not surpass the MBR's limit, "dmraid -a y" detects the RAID, but fails to map it and reports "No RAID drives" or something like that. (NOTE: This may not be entirely true, as I have not experimented with it enough. This happened when the array was set to smaller sizes, but the assumption that it's the MBR limit again is mine and not proven)

5ER
January 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
*ignore* triple-post due to connection error, I am sorry.

5ER
January 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM
*ignore* triple-post due to connection error, I am sorry.

5ER
January 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I have tried a Fedora 14 live cd and the situation is the same.

UPDATE: gparted shows a warning for the drive, saying "Invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/dm-0".