PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up Ubuntu Cloud on a single machine

itfreaksnet
January 9th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hello all.

I'm glad I've come to Ubuntu Cloud community. I'm having some initial problems though. I've only one machine available for testing phase. It has enough power for a test cloud, CPU is VT capable , has 6 cores and 16 GB of RAM. I'm using Vmware Workstation for setting up controllers. However, node controllers doesn't work all the way because of nesting and KVM demands. I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu, Xen or KVM so I'm asking a question. Can I do setup as documented but instead of KVM use Xen?

raymdt
January 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi Itfreaksnet and welcome,
yes you kannst use Xen with uec. Just install Xen on your frontend and change the Hypervisor in /etc/eucalyptus/eucalyptus.conf (The line HYPERVISOR = "kvm" ).

Don't you have VT extension?? Or why do you want to use xen? Do you know that you can activate the VT in VMWare??

You even can use the test-uec-cd of Dustin kirkland (this is a live cd for testing eucalyptus without installation).

You can test the VT-xtension with

kvm-ok
#oder
egrep (vmx|svm) /proc/cpuinfo

Try and post your results :D

itfreaksnet
January 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi Itfreaksnet and welcome,
yes you kannst use Xen with uec. Just install Xen on your frontend and change the Hypervisor in /etc/eucalyptus/eucalyptus.conf (The line HYPERVISOR = "kvm" ).

Don't you have VT extension?? Or why do you want to use xen? Do you know that you can activate the VT in VMWare??

You even can use the test-uec-cd of Dustin kirkland (this is a live cd for testing eucalyptus without installation).

You can test the VT-xtension with

kvm-ok
#oder
egrep (vmx|svm) /proc/cpuinfo

Try and post your results :D

Hello, raymdt

If you don't have VT capable CPU on host running Vmware workstation you cannot install 64 bit guests. But that particular 64 bit guest won't be VT capable. You cannot nest VT capability. You can still prove me wrong and make my day :)

So, kvm-ok tells me that CPU does not support KVM extensions.

Using Xen would solve that issues, because with Kvm node controller i cannot start instances. I'm not quite sure how to install Xen node controller. Looking for some info in that way. I would like to stick with Ubuntu 10.10 for this issue.
best regards, Stoz.

raymdt
January 9th, 2011, 10:28 PM
If you don't have VT capable CPU on host running Vmware workstation you cannot install 64 bit guests

That's right. But you wrote

It has enough power for a test cloud, CPU is VT capable , has 6 cores and 16 GB of RAM

So if your are sure that your cpu CPU Capable is, then you have to activate it in your computer's BIOS

Here is a howto about xen on ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen

itfreaksnet
January 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Hey, raydtm,

we are talking about running controller node as a VM under Vmware workstation not on bare metal.

raymdt
January 9th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hi,
i understand that you're trying to run your VM Node on VMWare. And this is reason why i asked if your "Bare Metal" is VT capabe, since VT is not enabled by default under WMWare. To enable it, you just need to add this line to your *.vmx file

monitor_control.vt64 = TRUE
#or 32 if you use 32 Bits guest
PS:
Graziano(one of the eucalyptus's guys ) said:

we don't advice to run eucalyptus in a vm and we don't support it directly since the configuration can be fairly complex and you may be limited in the networking mode options you can choose. But we know of users that managed to do just that.
http://open.eucalyptus.com/forum/can-i-install-eucalyptus-vmware-server

But you can try it and share your experience :D.

itfreaksnet
January 13th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hi,
i understand that you're trying to run your VM Node on VMWare. And this is reason why i asked if your "Bare Metal" is VT capabe, since VT is not enabled by default under WMWare. To enable it, you just need to add this line to your *.vmx file

monitor_control.vt64 = TRUE
#or 32 if you use 32 Bits guest
PS:
Graziano(one of the eucalyptus's guys ) said:

http://open.eucalyptus.com/forum/can-i-install-eucalyptus-vmware-server

But you can try it and share your experience :D.
Hello,

Thanks for links. However you should do homework with nesting hardware VT. best regards, Stoz

itfreaksnet
January 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM
then again, if we look at xen 4.0.1 requirements,
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0

"Xen PV (paravirtualized) guests (Linux, Solaris, BSD, Netware) are supported without CPU/hardware virtualization extensions, so Xen can be used also on old hardware. Xen 32bit PV guests need to be PAE."

it looks like we could install Xen 4.0.1 inside VM. Is it possible that I make a mistake during compiling.