PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to check if CPU throttling is ON or OFF

gaurish108
January 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I am trying to install the ATLAS BLAS library which recommends that I turn if CPU throttling to do the install.

How do I check if my CPU throttling is ON or OFF?

I tried the suggestion of
./cpufreq-selector -g performance in the /usr/bin directory as suggested elsewhere in the forum but there was no output and the control returned back to the user.

I have searched everywhere but there does not seem to be a way to determine the status of the CPU throttling

Thank you

3rdalbum
January 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I am trying to install the ATLAS BLAS library which recommends that I turn if CPU throttling to do the install.

How do I check if my CPU throttling is ON or OFF?

I tried the suggestion of
./cpufreq-selector -g performance in the /usr/bin directory as suggested elsewhere in the forum but there was no output and the control returned back to the user.

I have searched everywhere but there does not seem to be a way to determine the status of the CPU throttling

Thank you

Throttling occurs when the CPU governor is set to Ondemand or Conservative. Set it to Performance or Powersave within Linux to disable throttling. Or disable Speed Step in your computer's BIOS to run at full speed the whole time.

NickJones
January 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Right click on a blank area of the top panel, click CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor, then you can easily turn it off & on.

Kasami
January 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Right click on a blank area of the top panel, click CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor, then you can easily turn it off & on.

Right Click on blank area, then click add to panel then click CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor.

ShakeyJake
January 9th, 2011, 02:00 PM
There are numerous ways to display the speed the currently at. I use conky, but there is also the applet mentioned above. Once you can see what speed the cores are at, type

yes > /dev/null
into a terminal and see if it ups to the highest speed it should. In my case each core is currently at 800MHz, sending one of the cores into an infinite series of 'yes' it jumps to the full 3.2GHz.

abc14jon
December 10th, 2012, 11:30 PM
The most recent ubuntus have a utility called indicator-cpufreq. It can be installed with sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq. After logging in and out again it started automatically and shows an icon near the top-right screen corner, and one can both see all the cpu-frequencies and change the policy. Kristjan Jonasson.

nothingspecial
December 10th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the information but this thread is nearly 2 years old.

Closed.

coffeecat
December 10th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Old thread closed.