PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] backtrack 4

hell_fiend
January 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM
i have a dual boot of Linux Backtrack 4 and Windows Vista.for a year i used Linux BackTrack4 and today i planned to remove it and install BackTrack4 R2, so i copied any data i needed from the Linux partitions to Windows, after that, i formatted the Linux Partitions directly from Windows. after this i restarted the system to see if there was any problem with it due to the formatting. and on the startup, the GRUB loader had some issues, it foes like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ GRUB Loading Stage1.5. GRUB loading Please Wait.... Error 17 __________________________________________________ ______________________ and it stays there like that, so i cannot boot any OS. i know its caused by the formatting of the Linux partitions and i don't know how to fix the GRUB loader since I'm not familiar with Linux that well, any help with fixing this error? thnx

gamepoint
January 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
try booting using windows cd and enter command prompt
type
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

or

bootrec /fixmbr and try to restart..

this problem happens because grub which backtrack installed is missing after u formatted the partition