PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PC with no OS - can't seem to boot Ubuntu - please help!

formzee
January 8th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone, apologies if this has been asked before, I did have a quick search.
I recently bought a PC that came with no OS. I don't really have any experience in intalling an OS from scratch and have been trying to install Ubuntu.
I download and burnt the ISO to a DVD but am still getting the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media when I insert the DVD having rebooted.
I'm sure there is a simple solution but like I said, I dont have much experience inthis field.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rubi1200
January 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

You need to allow booting from the CD/DVD drive in BIOS.

Depending on the make and model, this will be something like F2, F12, Esc, or Del

As the computer starts you will see the POST screen (the one with the name of the manufacturer).

As you see this, press whichever key is relevant to enter BIOS.

There should be a menu with Boot. Go there and set the CD drive to be in first position before the Hard-Drive.

Reboot with the LiveCD and you should be up and running for stage 1.

Try the CD first to see that everything works before installing.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

anjilslaire
January 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Be sure to burn the iso as an image, not a data disc, and also set the PC to boot from the cd in the BIOS.
See here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
It should fit on CD, no dvd needed.

formzee
January 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
thanks, will try this and report back:D

formzee
January 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
thanks for the advice guys, i checked BIOS and have the DVD drive as 1st priority but am still getting the same message. I will double check the disc

no2498
January 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
on this dell im on
i had to turn off every thing but the cd/dvd
no hard drive or any thing was left on