PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which laptop to buy for Linux?

Dwizzite
January 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'm planning on buying a used/refurbished laptop want to put Ubuntu 10. I'm not sure whether to go the Mac route (current mac user), or the pc route. Some help would be great. Thinking of making this purchase within a couple months. I also need a laptop with a webcam built in. Let me know. Thanks!

gordintoronto
January 8th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I've got an HP G62, and it works very nicely. Installation was a bit difficult, because HP had already allocated four primary partitions on the hard drive, and four is all you can have. I described how I handled it in Full Circle Magazine issue 43.

23dornot23d
January 8th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Acer Aspire 7730 ZG

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1148/64210862.png (http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1148/64210862.png)

andymorton
January 8th, 2011, 02:56 AM
If you're going to put Ubuntu on it anyway, why not buy a laptop with it already installed? :)

http://www.system76.com/

http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

andy

Segofam
January 8th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I have an MSI601, and Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid Lynx)has worked really well on it.

You will read up on so many problems that occur with different hardware etc, but I have had none of the problems. My problems come from being unfamiliar with knowing how to install via command line, and using those programs!

Segofam
January 8th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I have an MSI601, and Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid Lynx)has worked really well on it.

You will read up on so many problems that occur with different hardware etc, but I have had none of the problems. My problems come from being unfamiliar with knowing how to install via command line, and using those programs!

Tiler
January 8th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I am going to recommend my own system. I just left AuroraOS for not wanting to wait on the new version.

I installed 10.04 NBR on here and I had absolutely no tweaking to do other than my own preferences. Webcam, sound and wireless all worked perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised.

gordintoronto
January 9th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I am going to recommend my own system. I just left AuroraOS for not wanting to wait on the new version.

I installed 10.04 NBR on here and I had absolutely no tweaking to do other than my own preferences. Webcam, sound and wireless all worked perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised.

Which EeePC is it? There seem to be at least 50 versions over the past three years.

sammiev
January 9th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I would also suggest looking at the Toshiba L500 Intel based. I'm using ubuntu 10.10 and the only item the live CD didn't find was my dial up modem. Even my built in camera and mic works. Temp sensors seem to stay between 35c and 44c well running applications. GL :)

hollowtd
January 9th, 2011, 03:56 AM
If you're a mac person already. then I would use a macbook, at least the 1.1 or up. I think Ubuntu runs really well with it. I run 10.04 and have tested 11.04 even with the compiz unity stuff and it works great. I like mac sturdiness and the look and it's quite nice. If you want a laptop with it already ready to go, then you should use system76.com They are the best so far with communication and make some really nice machines, with everything working out of the box because they make their own patches and whatnot to download to make each Ubuntu update perfectly.

Cheers

canthus13
January 9th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I have had great luck with Dell laptops. I've had a C610, a C840, and an Inspiron 1545, all of which ran beautifully. You *might* end up replacing the wireless card in the older models, but that is easy (and cheap.. ~10-20 USD for an intel mini PCI wireless adapter), but aside from that, installation is painless. On my 1545 I only had to plug in an ethernet cable in order to run updates and install the broadcom drivers.

--Me

Tiler
January 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Which EeePC is it? There seem to be at least 50 versions over the past three years.

There have been quite a few. I'm using the EeePC 1000. It has only SSD and comes with 1gb RAM. I upgraded both and have the (for my purposes) perfect laptop. 10" screen a good trade-off for me, size wise because I also carry a paper planner with me and both fit in a standard laptop-bag easily.

Jerry N
January 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM
My HP DV5000 is about 5 years old and I just installed Mint 9 (same as Ubuntu 10.04) to dual boot with Win XP without difficulty. Everything, including wireless, seems to be working OK. HP's install of XP uses 3 partitions. I used Clonezilla to clone the old 80gb drive to a new 320 gb drive. I then created an extended partition in the unused space and divided it up into EXT4, Swap, and NTFS logical partitions.

Jerry

Dwizzite
January 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Wow guys! Thank you so much! I have so many great options now :).

Here's something else I just realized. I have an external iSight camera from an old iMac that I really like, and it uses Firewire 400. I noticed on the System76 computers that they use an esata port instead of firewire (never new esata existed until reading this thread). Lets say I want a laptop without a camera in it, what would I need to do to make the isight work with a linux preinstalled machine like system76? So many options out there, not sure what to do.

I apologize for any redundancies in my research. It's been almost 10 years since my high school computer geek days. Feels great to be back :).