PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] internet messed up

libihero
January 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM
for some reason today the network connections manager got messed up. it shows up in the icon that no network is available and networking is disabled... even though the ethernet cable is connected and the internet is working fine. its a real hassle with wireless though, since it shows no wireless networks and i cant connect to any of them

Hippytaff
January 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I guess you tried enabling wireless?

what does
iwconfigreturn?

libihero
January 7th, 2011, 11:48 PM
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

i am suspicious of the indicator-network applet i downloaded, since my problems started since i downloaded it. but even when i uninstalled it, it still wouldnt let me turn on the wireless

Hippytaff
January 7th, 2011, 11:52 PM
try

iwconfig up

you might need to use sudo :?

libihero
January 7th, 2011, 11:54 PM
it says no such device :(

Hippytaff
January 8th, 2011, 12:15 AM
haha...don't panick, I just tried it and I got the same response, I'm using wireless but it's on eth0 for some reason.

Anyway, are the drivers ok, does rebooting do anything?
do

lspci | grep -i netw
search for the driver for the chipset you have on google, then

lsmod | grep -i name of diver
to see if it is still loaded.

does the wireless work with windows?

Hippytaff
January 8th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Just had a thought, now the possibly offending applet has been uninstalled have you tried getting rid of any cruft with

sudo apt-get autoclean

libihero
January 8th, 2011, 12:34 AM
the first thing you gave me gave no results in terminal...
just a random question though, is it possible to remove just the network systray icon from the systray, cuz the indicator icon is randomly working now

linuxman94
January 8th, 2011, 12:44 AM
@Hippytaff He has a problem with network manager, not the connection.

OP: Have you rebooted since you had he problem? Sometimes the applet doesn't load correctly.

libihero
January 8th, 2011, 12:57 AM
i tried rebooting this morning in a wifi hotspot and it didnt work with or without both the indicator applet network manager and the one in the systray both loaded. i got rid of the indicator applet, rebooted, and it wouldnt allow me to enable networking. right now though with both loaded, the indicator applet network manager is letting me connect to wifi, but for some reason the one in the systray still shows "networking enabled" grayed out

linuxman94
January 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Try this command in the terminal:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up