PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Shortcut play/pause buttons don't work with VLC Media Player

maryalesia
January 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM
The title pretty much explains it. As you know, Ubuntu comes with media player (generic flavor) as it's default player. I've had problems with it's stability (sound stops working when I press play/pause, crashing during HD movies), so I downloaded VLC, which so far has been much more stable.

However, I have shortcut buttons built into my computer for play, pause, stop, etc. In the original media player these work. In VLC they do not, even though I've changed it to my default player.

I know this is a trivial problem, so here are two facts about me:
1. I'm lazy. So lazy that pressing the button on my computer to pause is favorable to using the touchpad on my laptop.

One might argue that if I was really as lazy as I say I am, I wouldn't waste the energy to solve such a trivial problem, which brings us to point number two:
2. I'm irrational and a little bit neurotic.

Anyway, does anyone know how to fix this?

cariboo907
January 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I can't answer your question, as all laptop models seem to work differently, but pressing the space bar pauses vlc.

maryalesia
January 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I can't answer your question, as all laptop models seem to work differently, but pressing the space bar pauses vlc.

you are a nifty and helpful anonymous avatar. :D