PDA

View Full Version : Whack a Mole applets

Nesaskewatch
January 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but I have been having fun with indicator applets wandering around in the notification area on top of my desktop. Likely due to me fiddling with stuff. BTW, 10.10 on a Toshiba Satellite L500 laptop. All I want to do is find a way to place the various icons where I want them, then have them stay there! It gets annoying when the power button keeps migrating to the left and ends up buried among all the junk I have up there. Is there a file that lists all these applets and the order they should load at boot? Can they be organised to achieve what I want?

Cheers for any help!

stoogiebuncho
January 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
If you right-click the applet, there should be an option to "lock" it in place. That usually works.

January 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Yes this has been a bug for some time now. I've been experiencing the same issues: Applets are Locked, but move around upon boot/reboot.
A "solution" is to try and keep it short and sweet. For example, I used 24-hour format to get rid of the PM and put it on the bottom panel; Deleted the Trash applet and don't use the Indicator applet if possible.
My applets are now stable (don't move around) even after I added Weather Control applet on the top panel.
Also, this may or may not be related: Auto-hide. I chose auto-hide on both panels right after shortening everything and haven't a problem since.

heyandy889
January 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM
When I had this bug, I found that rebooting changed the positions of my panel icons. The solution I landed on was leaving a little bit of space between panel icons and then right clicking so I could "Lock to Panel."

Nesaskewatch
January 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I have left some space between them and might try autohide if it doesn't work. I thought once locked they cannot be moved? Guess not. It's the network mangler icon that is messing things up. It has claimed the space on the far right and refuses to move now. It has erected barricades and razor-wire and has begun chanting slogans. I thought I saw heavy equipment moving in artillery, but I am not certain... I guess I can live with it being there, but am fearful it has designs on Czechoslovakia.

January 8th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I have left some space between them and might try autohide if it doesn't work. I thought once locked they cannot be moved? Guess not. It's the network mangler icon that is messing things up. It has claimed the space on the far right and refuses to move now. It has erected barricades and razor-wire and has begun chanting slogans. I thought I saw heavy equipment moving in artillery, but I am not certain... I guess I can live with it being there, but am fearful it has designs on Czechoslovakia.
It has been reported that even if it is locked in the drop-down menu, sometimes it ain't. That bug's been open (at Launchpad) for some time now and I don't think it's getting fixed anytime soon.
My Network Mangler icon has never moved, but you need to inspect the truck tracks closely. If it's light and shallow then it might be land mines and not artillery piece. Move accordingly.