PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ~/.screenrc where is it?

lance bermudez
January 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM
i feel really stupid asking this one. I thought it was in /home/user/.screenrc but i do not see it I used the ls -a and nautilus with ctrl+h and do not see it any where. i was going to try a Linux journal article on how to use screen and customize it.

LewRockwellFAN
January 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Clicking Applications,Accessories,Search for Files finds for me a file of that name (but not hidden, no dot(.), just plain screenrc, in /etc which is probably the one you want. I'm running the 32 bit 11.04 at the moment. If you don't see it there try running the search. There is another one in usr/share/doc/screen/examples in my system, presumably used as an , um ... example ... for some documentation on editing the real one. Just guessing.

oldos2er
January 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Have you installed and run screen? ~/.screenrc won't exist until you do.

nothingspecial
January 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I have a feeling that ~/.screenrc doesn`t exist until you make it.

Before that screen reads /etc/screenrc

**Edit - yep I`m right, just make your fancy .screenrc and away you go - tidE**

lance bermudez
January 8th, 2011, 03:11 AM
do i edit the screenrc in /etc/screenrc or move/copy it to /home/user? I have stated and used screen a # of times and no .screenrc appears in the home dir

QLee
January 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
do i edit the screenrc in /etc/screenrc or move/copy it to /home/user? I have stated and used screen a # of times and no .screenrc appears in the home dir

You might try saving a copy of the file in your home with the name, .screenrc, and use it as a template for any changes you wanted to try. Initially it would be the same and after you had uncommented parts or modified parts only your user would be affected and all you would have to do to get back to default would be to delete the .screenrc from your user home.

nothingspecial
January 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Or just make your own.

The .screenrc in your home folder overrides the one in /etc.

If you mess it up just delete it.