PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grubs secondary hdd install including windows 7

jinba.ittai
January 7th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Im running a 2 hdd setup, and today my main hdd failed (not sure whats wrong with it). I have windows 7 on the main 750gb hdd and 10.10 on the secondary 350 hdd, but in order to get my pc operational again i had to install a second boot of 10.10 next to the current one on the 350gb hdd to get grub to boot up.

Now i am trying to figure out how to get rid of the second install of ubuntu, remove the entry from grub and add an entry for windows 7 on a new hdd i put in. I know if i install windows 7 on the new hdd it will overwrite the grrub, so how do i go about installing windows 7 and getting grub to still boot from the secondary hdd?

LewRockwellFAN
January 7th, 2011, 06:17 AM
You'll probably get a better and more elegant answer from somebody who really understands grub well but if not, or if you don't want to wait, here is an easy one. Install the W-7. Then, making sure any data you've stored on the Ubuntu partition is secure somewhere else (like maybe copy it to a data partition on the new drive) re-install Ubuntu over the old installation. It doesn't take ALL that long. Then the Grub menu should see both.