PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor Calibration

QuintS
January 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and I noticed some display properties where not correct. Nuances in the lighter region are not displayed right.

For instance http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php says to play around with the brightness and contrast of the monitor. Whatever setting I use, the right circle never changes into multiple shades of black white. The left one only slightly gives shade difference between B and C. And no difference between A and B.

Another way is to play around with the gamma value of X using xgamma. The only way to show some definition in the lighter region is to change the gamma to outrageous values like 0.4 or 5 but viewing characteristics become unpleasant.

I am using an HP LA2205wg via VGA to an "Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller"

Can anybody help me calibrate monitor settings?

seawolf167
January 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM
You don't want the right circle to be shades of black, all the circles are there to test is that you can distinguish between shades of black immediately lighter than true black and shades of white immediately darker than true white (these differences between colors should be barely noticeable)

Most monitors have an automatic adjust feature, try using that first (and/or changing the mode, i.e. video, gaming) then make minute adjustments to get the final settings correct.

QuintS
January 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I've played around with the monitor settings but to no avail. The same monitor is connected to a PC running Win7 and all brightness properties are displayed correctly (when looking at the circle patterns of the site mentioned earlier). So the monitor is working properly and setup properly.

QuintS
January 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Updating the drivers did not give a better result. Strange, same graphics card and same monitor does work in Windows but not in Ubuntu.