PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LDS free PAF program

Victor Anderson
January 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM
As a newbie to Linux and having installed the wonderful Ubuntu 10.10 I would like to download and install if possible the wonderful Genealogy program from LDS.org "PAF5" but I am afraid of mucking things up so if anyone can advise me in plain English how I can go about it I would be a very happy old codger. :razz:
I am running Ubuntu on its own and not as duel boot.

Wilf

walt.smith1960
January 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I would have to register to see the download and I'm not going to register. If this program is an .exe file or requires Microsoft Windows, i doubt it'll run on Linux. There are some "translators" like WINE and crossover Linux but they're far from 100% on all Windows applications. Both Wine and a trial of Crossover Linux are available to download & try if you're so inclined.

Victor Anderson
January 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks Walt, I will check to see if it is a .exe file, I think it is so I will stay with the GRAMPS genealogy program for now.

Wilf

LeftyMills
January 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I have successfully run PAF under wine. The problem is that I could not run PAF Companion - probably because I could not understand the print drivers required.
In my opinion, PAF and PAF Companion are much better than Gramps. One of the reasons that I keep an old XP computer around is to run the beautiful family history charts that PAF Companion produces.

I put my grandchildren into Gramps because they wanted a program that prints in Hebrew.

L.

TNT1
January 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM
We used to use PAF, but since going Linux, we simply use Gramps. Both use GEDCOM as standard, and we often export files for use in PAF.

Victor Anderson
January 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks Lefty, I do not use PAF companion so it does not bother me, I will give it a go once I get to know how to use Wine, I have used PAF since about 2002 and it is a great program, so easy to see the tree and to use.

Cheers mate.
Wilf

ldsredhead
January 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
As a newbie to Linux and having installed the wonderful Ubuntu 10.10 I would like to download and install if possible the wonderful Genealogy program from LDS.org "PAF5" but I am afraid of mucking things up so if anyone can advise me in plain English how I can go about it I would be a very happy old codger. :razz:
I am running Ubuntu on its own and not as duel boot.

Wilf

Dear walt, I am a member of the lds church and they have a linux version of this program for you and lds.org has a free live tech support team 24 hours a day that is willing to help you figure out how to install it. Sincerely Derek
I know this because I had to have the support team help me install the program. :-). I know this response is almost 2 years exactly to the date too late. but better late than never right? they will even call you on your telephone if you ask them too.

howefield
January 8th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Old thread closed.