PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Booting Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Snow Leopard Grub Issues

rgordy
January 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I installed with a live cd, and partitioned the HD manually. I created a 2151mb under swap area, and a 46xxxmb ext4. On the last step, I click advanced to select where to install the bootloader, but it will not let me install it in the 46xxxmb partition. I chose to continue without installing it, and am looking for a way to get it from terminal. Any suggestions?

thanks

TechWiz2100
January 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Real Mac or Hackintosh?

Real Mac:
You can you bootcamp for bootloader instead and it may or may not be easier since you have to chain os x to grub

Hackintosh:
Use Chameleon for the same reason as above

rgordy
January 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM
It is a real mac. I'm not sure what you mean by use bootcamp, I did a few searches for it but came up with nothing.

TechWiz2100
January 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Apple Boot Camp, the thing that Apple created to boot Windows from OS X

Heres a link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=678542

rgordy
January 7th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I don't think I described my problem well previously, so here is what is wrong.

I used boot camp in snow leopard to create a partition for ubuntu. I then booted from the live cd, opened gparted and deleted said partition. After clicking on the install button, I went through the prompts until I reached the partition editing section.

*I first tried clicking "use largest continuous space" and had the same problem in the end.

I click manually partition.

I first create a swap space of 2151mb, this becomes /dev/sda3. I then create a 46xxxmb ext4 (also tried ext3) partition mounted as " / ". This becomes /dev/sda4.

On the last screen, I select advanced to change where the bootloader is installed.

It is my understanding that the bootloader must go in the same partition as the ubuntu install ( in my case this would be /dev/sda4 )

However, when I select /dev/sda4 I cannot click " OK ".

I also tried changing the order in which I partition, ie the ext4 before the swap area but nothing has worked.

TechWiz2100
January 8th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I don't think I described my problem well previously, so here is what is wrong.

I used boot camp in snow leopard to create a partition for ubuntu. I then booted from the live cd, opened gparted and deleted said partition. After clicking on the install button, I went through the prompts until I reached the partition editing section.

*I first tried clicking "use largest continuous space" and had the same problem in the end.

I click manually partition.

I first create a swap space of 2151mb, this becomes /dev/sda3. I then create a 46xxxmb ext4 (also tried ext3) partition mounted as " / ". This becomes /dev/sda4.

On the last screen, I select advanced to change where the bootloader is installed.

It is my understanding that the bootloader must go in the same partition as the ubuntu install ( in my case this would be /dev/sda4 )

However, when I select /dev/sda4 I cannot click " OK ".

I also tried changing the order in which I partition, ie the ext4 before the swap area but nothing has worked.

I think SWAP has to be in an extended partition. Just try making 1 large ext4 partition in the empty space and select that partition. I'm pretty sure Ubuntu will repartition the space to include the SWAP.

rgordy
January 8th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the help. I ended up fixing it by using gparted to format the partitions prior to starting the installer. I think it has to d with grub2 not wanting to use logical partitions