PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Brightness control in Lucid (Sony Vaio VPCEE3WFX)

ecmmyers
January 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
I just bought this new laptop and I thought I'd give Ubuntu a go. I'm still very new to the way it works. I've learned a little since someone helped me with a sound problem, but I still need explanations in layman's terms.

My problem is that when I press Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 the brightness does not adjust. The Fn volume controls do, however. I get some notification in the upper right that it knows what it should do, but the bar stays the same and so does the light. I read somewhere about a Gnome brightness app and that adjusts the brightness then I get a cancel sign over the little white sun and is says "cannot get laptop panel brightness".

I saw another solution for another kind of laptop here (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-your-laptops-brightness-function-keys-operating-properly-in-hardy.html)

Does anyone know of a simple fix to this problem similar to the one above? if not anything that helps the Fn key combos work will be great! Thanks in advance.

ecmmyers
January 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I have been searching around and have not found a working solution. I was wondering if anyone in the Ubuntu community has?