PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Webcam suggestion?

clickwir
January 3rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
I need a webcam.

I want some suggestions. Sure, there's this page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

But to be honest, that list is a bit of information overload. Other than going one by one, I have no idea what features, cost, availability of anything on that list.

I want one that has very good quality picture @30fps. Built-in autofocus, most seem to rely on software (that doesn't work with Linux) to do many of the functions.

"Just get anything UVC" doesn't help. There are TOO MANY. I just need one. One with good quality and doesn't require software in linux to have a decent experience.

I was looking at the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, but some reviews say that image quality with Windows (and the Logitech software) is great, but under linux it sucks. Others say it doesn't have autofocus when used with Linux. Not to mention it's $80! FAR too much for so few features.

xc3RnbFO8P
January 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Logitech C250

grege
January 3rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Logitech C120 is plug and play and as cheap as they come, but has no microphone. I have a separate USB microphone. Good enough for Skype, but I am not very demanding.