PDA

View Full Version : I can not live without Linux now

asifnaz
January 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
I am visiting my relatives these days . I arrived here like 3 days ago just got bored and used their computer . It has windows Xp on it , which is what most of the people are using .

I used their computer and end up asking their permission " if I could install another OS which would not harm their XP " they gladly allowed and I am glad using Ubuntu .

Now the point is , why I am so attached to Linux . Frankly any OS can fulfill my computing needs (they are browsing , music , video , simple games , etc )

I remember using command-line was nightmare for me . But now I rarely use software center . I love apt-get install

I am looking for Linux (even CLI ) for my Nokia 5130 if its available .

how I have become a Linux lover if somebody could explain ..

Spice Weasel
January 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
We all have our little computing requirements. I can't use a PC without multiple virutal desktops, or full keyboard control of windows.

MooPi
January 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have a nagging suspicion that any time I use a Windows computer that a virus is only a moment away. I believe my experience as a computer repair/technician has jaded my thought pattern. Every computer with Windows that comes to the shop has some form of virus or malware. Every ! That is why I rarely use Windows.

ninjaaron
January 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
I remember using command-line was nightmare for me . But now I rarely use software center . I love apt-get install

I haven't figured out how to search for software with apt-get. For this reason, I still use the software center or synaptic when I need a function, but I don't know the name of a program.

How do you search with apt-get anyway?

Spr0k3t
January 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Linux grows on people... especially once they have used it for a few weeks, they start to see the elegance in the structure and how everything flows. Then there is the familiarity complex. My recommendation, get yourself an 8GB (or more) fast USB drive and set up a live environment you can take with you.

Spr0k3t
January 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I haven't figured out how to search for software with apt-get. For this reason, I still use the software center or synaptic when I need a function, but I don't know the name of a program.

How do you search with apt-get anyway?

You don't... at least not with the apt-get command... instead use the following:

sudo apt-cache search {searchphrase/regex}

sdowney717
January 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
I like XP better than vista. Vista to me is way too busy, hard to dig thru all the distracting fluff all over the menus and explorer and search. it just is too busy looking.

NightwishFan
January 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Vista drove me to Linux, but I still like it more than Xp. The only thing I still remember about Xp was the fact that EVERYONE had it and it constantly made a lot of noise with the disk. :(

Timmer1240
January 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
I guess its the security and ease of use with the gnome desktop that I like about Ubuntu.It just seems very intuitive the way its all layed out I like it and I have zero problems with it.If I need info on something about Ubuntu I google and answers are there or in the forums its just an all around good system in my opinion anyhow!

Hur Dur
January 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
I like Windows, and I like GNU/Linux. I don't understand why Windows gets a bad rep. It has tons of viruses, sure, but that's not Microsoft's fault. It is a memory hog, sure, but so is Ubuntu. You have to install things manually using executables, sure, but you have to do this with your package manager in GNU/Linux. What are the basic things a Windows user does? Play music, watch videos, browse the web. What are the basic things a GNU/Linux user does? Play music, watch videos, and browse the web. Oh, but Windows doesn't have wobbly windows.

/end rant

I guess GNU/Linux just grows on people. It offers the same functionality as any other desktop, but it is free, and the ability to customize every aspect of the OS is appealing to some.

Frogs Hair
January 2nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Jonzin for Linux , must have Linux.:p

ghostborg
January 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
I like the package center and the way Linux updates.
If you have ever experienced a home with several computers, some not used for a week or more you know what I mean. Updates on Windows just seem to hit you from every direction.

Starks
January 2nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
Linux is fast. That's all I care about.

cgroza
January 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
I like the package center and the way Linux updates.
If you have ever experienced a home with several computers, some not used for a week or more you know what I mean. Updates on Windows just seem to hit you from every direction.
In Windows, updates force you to reboot and if you say no it keeps annoying you every 5 minutes! You can't even enjoy your game anymore, wich is the only reason Windows still has a use.

Purplerob
January 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
For me it's all the little things that I changed and are just in Ubuntu. I had never noticed most of them (or I never thought about them) until I used windows again. For example, I am so used to using alt-f2 to open programs that when I used windows it was annoying for me to have to use the start menu.

jennybrew
January 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
I am visiting my relatives these days . I arrived here like 3 days ago just got bored and used their computer . It has windows Xp on it , which is what most of the people are using
Wow !!!! are you a time traveller ? :p

Edited to add: Happy New year to everyone I hope you all have the best year ever.

marin123
January 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
For me it's all the little things that I changed and are just in Ubuntu. I had never noticed most of them (or I never thought about them) until I used windows again. For example, I am so used to using alt-f2 to open programs that when I used windows it was annoying for me to have to use the start menu.

i agree. i dont have any shortcuts and open a program way faster. when i'm in windows, i always try to press alt+f2 and then i remember :D
ubuntu is simple and straightforward. i love the terminal and the way it allows me to control the computer and gives more information then "Loading..." or "Repairing..." messages, also the gconf-editor is awesome and unlike windows registry, the entries make sense :)

Spice Weasel
January 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
On windows it's Meta+R. ;)

marl30
January 2nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
I really feel awkward whenever I have to use Windows. Everything is just to my liking in Ubuntu. When I'm away from my computer and need to use the internet, I tend to rather browsing with my phone (Nokia s60) than using Windows.

Speaking of Nokia s60. There are two very interesting programs I've come across for syncing Nokias with Ubuntu. The only thing you can't do with these programs is a firmware update.

Check these sites out ,OP, for the softwares to connect your Nokia. http://sourceforge.net/projects/nokuntu/

http://series60-remote.sourceforge.net/

Starks
January 2nd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Nokuntu.

What an unfortunate name...

IWantFroyo
January 2nd, 2011, 11:05 PM
It's fast, pretty, and almost impossible to get viruses on. Plus, you get a lot of software for free.

Endomancer
January 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
I use and prefer Ubuntu. But at Tafe, they teach Windows xp (supposed to be upgrading to 7 this year).

When ever I'm on the Tafe machines I dearly miss having multiple desktops and tabbed file browsing most, but often also miss the ability to allocate something as "always on top".

But from what I'v heard and read 7 is a very different beast compared to xp, so I may discover other things I miss from Ubuntu, maybe even something I wish Ubuntu had, although I'm not getting my hopes up

earthpigg
January 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM
You don't... at least not with the apt-get command... instead use the following:

sudo apt-cache search {searchphrase/regex}

is there any reason to run 'apt-cache search' with sudo?

asifnaz
January 3rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Wow !!!! are you a time traveller ? :p

Edited to add: Happy New year to everyone I hope you all have the best year ever.

Most used computer OS without any doubt = Windows XP

nuunkotad
March 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
am using series-s60-remote for a while. the best I found for my nokia+ubuntu