PDA

View Full Version : laptop suggestions

gmenfan83
January 2nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
i currently have a 3 year old toshiba laptop running just ubunu 10.10....soon i will be starting college(for computer/software developement)and i am going to be shopping around for a new laptop that will be good for home use ,school use and also gaming....can any of you guys suggest my best options....now i will prob dual boot or just ditch windows so that does not matter

mips
January 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thinkpad or Macbook.

perspectoff
January 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Gee, I have a 10 year old Toshiba, a 5 year old Toshiba, a 3 year old Toshiba and a 1 year old HP.

All of them run (K)Ubuntu fine for me, especially the 3 and 1 year old laptops.

Why do you need a new one?

I replaced the keyboard on the 3 year old laptop for $15 and bought a webcam for it (my newest laptop has a webcam built in, which is why I got it). Otherwise, I haven't needed to do much except stay current with updates.

Unless you're rich or merely want to look "trendy", I certainly wouldn't get a MacBook. (They aren't any easier to learn than Ubuntu and in the end are more restricted. If you end up being a power user of computers, you will end up frustrated.)

Besides, people who like to be trendy are getting iPads or Galaxy or HP Slate these days. The problem with those is that you need external drives and a plugin keyboard if you need to type a lot (for homework and things). However, a lot of people like this.

Ubuntu Mobile editions are available, but not yet consumer marketed widely and certainly not "trendy" (I haven't seen any on TV shows). But by the middle of next year that will be a very viable and inexpensive alternative to the iPad as well.

But you have to ask yourself, are you the Kim Kardashian of computers?

gmenfan83
January 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Gee, I have a 10 year old Toshiba, a 5 year old Toshiba, a 3 year old Toshiba and a 1 year old HP.

All of them run (K)Ubuntu fine for me, especially the 3 and 1 year old laptops.

Why do you need a new one?

I replaced the keyboard on the 3 year old laptop for $15 and bought a webcam for it (my newest laptop has a webcam built in, which is why I got it). Otherwise, I haven't needed to do much except stay current with updates.

Unless you're rich or merely want to look "trendy", I certainly wouldn't get a MacBook. (They aren't any easier to learn than Ubuntu and in the end are more restricted. If you end up being a power user of computers, you will end up frustrated.)

Besides, people who like to be trendy are getting iPads or Galaxy or HP Slate these days. The problem with those is that you need external drives and a plugin keyboard if you need to type a lot (for homework and things). However, a lot of people like this.

Ubuntu Mobile editions are available, but not yet consumer marketed widely and certainly not "trendy" (I haven't seen any on TV shows). But by the middle of next year that will be a very viable and inexpensive alternative to the iPad as well.

But you have to ask yourself, are you the Kim Kardashian of computers?
Lol well first off for the gaming portion of it I believe I would have to upgrade (graphic card at least)and that's why I am asking because I don't really care about trendy at all but I am not sure if it will meet any special needs there may for school ...if any at all but im sure I can run most needed programs now and another reason is I am going to get money specifically for school and it may be wise to use some of it on a new laptop now because I don't know if I will get another opportunity to buy one anytime soon and my machine is 3 years old now and will be 6 or so halfway through school and then I may not have the opportunity to upgrade

BramWillemsen
January 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
If you want to program with CUDA/openCL you need to have a graphics card that supports these platforms. Right now I am in the situation that I would like to experiment with openCL, but my graphics card is one generation too old. Just something to keep in mind, but I guess that the GPUs shipped with the current laptops will all be sufficient.

ki4jgt
January 3rd, 2011, 12:57 AM
Anything labeled ACER is good. I've dropped mine about 10+ times on wood and concrete floors and the only thing wrong with it, is the case is busted.

Kalimol
January 3rd, 2011, 02:26 AM
Acer? Seriously? The EMachines bargain netbook brand? A friend of mine had an HD in one of those suckers die in six months. (Then again, to be fair, it's peppy, spry and still perfectly functional on its SSD replacement now.)

IWantFroyo
January 3rd, 2011, 02:30 AM
Get another Toshiba. I got one of the first touch screen Toshiba's, and it still works perfectly (except for the touch screen, but back then I guess that was expected). Toshiba lasts, and has a pretty good battery life.

gmenfan83
January 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
thank you all for your suggestions.....i do like my Toshiba and i just think the mac book would be too expensive although it looks nice i can get something cheaper with almost equal specs....another question is as i go through school will i need something special,,,does anyone know what a professor or a teacher in computer courses may be teaching on or require the student to use(although i suspect something compatible to everyone seeing how everyones $$ situation varies and not everyone can afford certain laptops ),,,,i dont even know if i should be worried about it but like i said i just dont want to make a mistake and not upgrade now when i have a chance to ,,,,thanks again for all your help:p

linuxforartists
January 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM
My favorite brand is Asus (http://www.asus.com/index.aspx). They're a Taiwanese company, more popular in Asia than abroad.

They also make a lot of high-end gaming machines, so I'm sure they could handle whatever your graphics needs are. Just make sure to avoid Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics, last I heard Ubuntu couldn't handle that kind of graphics card.

The Asus computers with 15.6" screens tend to be cheaper than their smaller computers (excluding netbooks). Good luck with your choice.

P1C0
January 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
A HP-G62 with a AMD Athlon II P340 cpu, a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 gpu and a led monitor recently became member of the family and what a diamond it is.
Unfortunately it belongs to my father, but I enjoyed setting it up.

I suggest you get one with an HDMI output in case you love watching movies in a big screen like I do :)

gmenfan83
January 5th, 2011, 01:16 AM
My favorite brand is Asus (http://www.asus.com/index.aspx). They're a Taiwanese company, more popular in Asia than abroad.

They also make a lot of high-end gaming machines, so I'm sure they could handle whatever your graphics needs are. Just make sure to avoid Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics, last I heard Ubuntu couldn't handle that kind of graphics card.

The Asus computers with 15.6" screens tend to be cheaper than their smaller computers (excluding netbooks). Good luck with your choice.
thank you for your suggestion and info and warning about the graphics card,,,,can anyone tell me or point me to a link explaining why that graphics card wouldnt work or about graphics card ,,i understand the better the card the better the visual and gaming experience and capabilities but when selecting a new laptop or desktop whats a good rule of thumb for a graphics card,,is there a way to tell if its a new one or old one?or how much your computer or os can handle?...thank you all for your help and suggestions :p

HappinessNow
January 5th, 2011, 03:43 AM
i currently have a 3 year old toshiba laptop running just ubunu 10.10....soon i will be starting college(for computer/software developement)and i am going to be shopping around for a new laptop that will be good for home use ,school use and also gaming....can any of you guys suggest my best options....now i will prob dual boot or just ditch windows so that does not matter

Thinkpad or Macbook.

Hold out for a Google Chrome OS Cloudbook or just apply for a free one through their Pilot-Program:

http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program-cr48.html

Bucky Ball
January 5th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro L510 recently. I love it! I am also at uni and this is a 14" screen so portable but not so small I need to squint (10" would give me a headache!

Macbook: overpriced. HP: I had one, beautiful machine, but it died with a known fault in under two years and HP didn't want to know me so never again for HP. :(