PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can't Log Into Admin User Account?

bitnitlit12
January 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hello,

I use XUbuntu 10.04.
I preface this with apologies, as I am a relative n00b to Linux.

My problems are as follows:

Last night I shut off my computer like normal. I have two user accounts, one Admin and one just General User. I tried logging into my Admin account, where most of my files are, and a quick black screen pops up with approximately 5-10 lines of text. It disappears just as quickly as it pops up, and thus I cannot read what it says to give any information.

I was able to create another Admin account by opening the General User account, etc.

However, ALL of the files in the original Admin account are inaccessible. There are some things I would like to salvage here, but have no idea how to access them through my new Admin account.

I am sorry if this is a general explanation of the problem. At this point a lot of the Linux terminology goes over my head, but if somebody could ask me the right questions to get to the bottom of this problem, I would appreciate it.

Thank you kindly...

Verbeck
January 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
could you try to access it through the root nautilus
from a terminal, run:

gksu nautilus /homeor change the ownership of the old home directory

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /home/directoryname

bitnitlit12
January 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
could you try to access it through the root nautilus
from a terminal, run:

sudo nautilus /homeor change the ownership of the old home directory

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /home/directoryname

Neither of them produce results. In fact, when I try to access it through the root nautilus, the folder is just simply locked.

philipballew
January 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
is it best to even really have an admin account. cant all be done with sudo and gksudo?

bitnitlit12
January 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
is it best to even really have an admin account. cant all be done with sudo and gksudo?

Well, that might be very good advice in retrospect. But, it doesn't really solve my current dilemma. I just need access to the files that are inaccessible at this point :)

philipballew
January 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
can you boot in to a xubuntu live cd and access them there?

bitnitlit12
January 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
can you boot in to a xubuntu live cd and access them there?

Doesn't work. Any other suggestions?