PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] headphone jack not recognized

philipballew
January 2nd, 2011, 09:22 AM
i just installed Ubuntu 10.10 32 on my asus laptop and when i plug in headphones nothing happens and the speakers keep producing sound. any help here would be hot?

cariboo907
January 2nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
Jack sensing is one of the things the devs are working on for the next release as it doesn't work correctly on all systems. For the time being you can right click on the sound icon in the upper panel and select Sound Preferences->Output, and set the output to headphones.

philipballew
January 2nd, 2011, 10:17 PM
so is there no way to get alsa to recognize my jack? if not can i create say a script or item in the menu to quickly change from speakers to headphones without having to go into the sound preferences menu every time?

philipballew
January 3rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
anyone?

p110011
January 4th, 2011, 04:49 AM
My laptop headphones worked but speakers would not turn off. I went into the mixer,
alsamixer selected my sound card, arrowed to function and arrowed the levels up or down. The "M" means mute and to toggle this press M key. My speakers now turn off with plug insert. Don't know if it will stay with a reboot, but I'm listening to a Hockey game right now:popcorn:

philipballew
January 4th, 2011, 06:19 AM
thats nice, however my problem is that no sound even comes out of my headphones and keep going through the speakers after the headphones are plugged in.