PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update, now driver issue,10.04.01

freeediver
January 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
I was going to do my update tonight but got this message so I stopped, I would like to know the potential actual affect on my system this could have. IE I see the warning but what actually does the warning mean to me? I don't do games, only a few movies and youtube.

Upgrading may reduce desktop effects, and performance in games and other graphically intensive programs.

This computer is currently using the AMD 'fglrx' graphics driver. No version of this driver is available that works with your hardware in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I have a toshiba Satellite A105-s2031 with 1gig ram.

I'm debating just holding on to 8.04 until my comp dies.

Thanks

mikewhatever
January 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
My guess is, you really wanted to upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04. Is that correct? Fglrx is the proprietary (closed source) AMD graphics driver, and the message tells you that it will not be available in 10.04. In other words, you'll be using an open source driver which should work just fine for youtube and movies.

freeediver
January 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Will I then need to find additional drivers as well when I update to 10.04.01 to enable my system to operate properly, ie will i loose video and graphic abilities as soon as I update?

mikewhatever
January 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
No. If the upgrade goes well, you should get a fully functional graphical desktop. I don't know what graphics card you have, but you could search for what others had to say about your specific model. If there are problems with that card in Lucid Lynx, you'll probably find lots of posts.

theasprint
January 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hi,

If you do remember having to manually install drivers for your graphics card or something like that, then you would also need to do the same when you have reached 10.04.

Sometimes even when you update kernel versions, you would also have to reinstall your closed source drivers.