PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to remove Gnome?

Aero_Zeppelin
January 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
I am using ubuntu 10.10 and i recently installed the xubuntu xfce desktop on my computer and i like the xfce desktop more than the gnome.So now i want to completely remove the gnome environment and the bundled applications.How do i do that safely?please help.Thanks in advance.

cariboo907
January 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
The Ubuntu version of Xfce depends on a lot of gnome libraries, so removing gnome would break your system.

Ravenshade
January 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
You don't need to usually un-install the software either, normally it's just a case of switching.

aysiu
January 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Try http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

HermanAB
January 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
You cannot unscramble a dozen eggs... sorry.

Aero_Zeppelin
January 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
You don't need to usually un-install the software either, normally it's just a case of switching.
kay,but wont my pc get kinda slow if i keep both desktop environments?I can see a lot of gnome processes still running on the xfce environment.These are my computer specs- Intel atom 1.66Ghz dual core,1GB DDR2 ram.

JOHNNYG713
January 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Simply download burn and install xubuntu in place of ubuntu ! and no, having both environments will not slow down your rig, They are simply window managers! I have more than ten ( 10 ) on mine with no issues !

aysiu
January 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
kay,but wont my pc get kinda slow if i keep both desktop environments?I can see a lot of gnome processes still running on the xfce environment.These are my computer specs- Intel atom 1.66Ghz dual core,1GB DDR2 ram.
Xfce uses a lot of Gnome processes, so removing the non-Xfce Gnome elements won't help you there.

Also, having Gnome installed does not use more RAM, as you will be using only one desktop environment at a time. All removing it will do is free up hard drive space (and not even that much space).

Aero_Zeppelin
January 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hmm..In that case, I will keep both of the environments.Thanks.:popcorn:

organics1
February 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe it wasn't the KDE install that DRAMATICALLY slowed down my system...BUT, the moment KDE was installed this old 'puter began dragging rear end.
That's why I was searching this space for methods to remove GNOME. Because KDE has a Windows familiarity it's the one I want to use. But if getting rid of GNOME breaks my system, I guess I'm just screwed. It's okay, though...I'm accustomed to being screwed. Professor MR. BILL has taught me how to grin and bear it. And I'm an "A+++" student: I bought a Gateway laptop in 2005 that had the VISTA demon pre-installed. I did eventually beat 'em when I learned how to use nLITE to put XP on the laptop. Ever since I've been at war with BILL and his zombies.

I'm a beginner who has always wanted to try Linux, so I installed Ubuntu 10.10 a few days ago on
a spare machine, a Compaq EVO510, to which I added a new 320GB IDE(PATA) hard drive.
So, if the slowdown wasn't induced by having both KDE & GNOME installed, then what was it?
No other changes were made to the machine.

THANX