PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu wont shut down

sKRiBEL
January 2nd, 2011, 05:16 AM
My ubuntu wont shut down, it has come to the point where i have to hold the power button to shut it down, i dont know why, this just started happening yesterday, and all i did yesterday was change a few settings to try and get my xbox live going (never did \: ), if anyone has any suggestions please tell me. and if i should reinstall ubuntu, how can i backup my system, i already have a 1tb external hard drive for backing it up. Help would be much appreciated.

sandyd
January 2nd, 2011, 05:24 AM
My ubuntu wont shut down, it has come to the point where i have to hold the power button to shut it down, i dont know why, this just started happening yesterday, and all i did yesterday was change a few settings to try and get my xbox live going (never did \: ), if anyone has any suggestions please tell me. and if i should reinstall ubuntu, how can i backup my system, i already have a 1tb external hard drive for backing it up. Help would be much appreciated.
try

sudo shutdown 0 -h

sKRiBEL
January 2nd, 2011, 05:26 AM
ok :], lemme see...

sKRiBEL
January 2nd, 2011, 05:33 AM
try

sudo shutdown 0 -h

it worked, thank you! ^^ :]

will i have to enter this every time i shut it down though?

Ravenshade
January 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
er... just hazarding a guess, but I think this is just a step in the right direction. While you can use it to shut down your system every time, this isn't really the way and it hasn't solved your problem...yet at least.

Someone *points to the crowd of Unbuntu Experts* should be able to help. I'm assuming that the shut down section is fine in and of itself, but something has been disconnected. Some wise guy should be able to point you in the direction of re-activating the shut down through normal protocol.