PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] grub2 not listing windows 7

carvish
January 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM
hi, big fan, want to get this working, I am trying to dual boot win 7 and ubuntu 10.10. I have separate hard drives for each os 60g ssd for win 7 and 160g hhd for ubuntu and 2-1 tb storage drives, I installed win 7 first, worked fine, bought a copy of "Linux format" in december, had a copy of ubuntu 10.10 so I installed it . Upon boot grub does not see my windows 7 os, just ubuntu10.10. How do I get grub 2 to see the other os?

coffeecat
January 2nd, 2011, 01:00 AM
Try two things.

First, open a terminal, and:

sudo update-grub

If that doesn't work, I've come across a couple of cases where the app os-prober - which is responsible for detecting other operating systems for grub - was not installed. That is quite inexplicable because os-prober should be part of a default installation. Nevertheless, open System > Administration > Synaptic. See if os-prober is installed. If it isn't, install it and run 'sudo update-grub' again.

carvish
January 2nd, 2011, 01:15 AM
thank you for replying, got it working by typing in the terminal

sudo apt-get install os-prober
now grub sees it and its working fine, thank you

drs305
January 2nd, 2011, 01:22 AM
thank you for replying, got it working by typing in the terminal

sudo apt-get install os-prober
now grub sees it and its working fine, thank you

I'm curious - are you using lubuntu? I know that it wasn't 'shipping' with os-prober but wasn't aware of other Ubuntu distros which didn't include it.

coffeecat
January 2nd, 2011, 01:25 AM
I'm curious - are you using lubuntu? I know that it wasn't 'shipping' with os-prober but wasn't aware of other Ubuntu distros which didn't include it.

The OP installed from the Linux Format DVD, so I'm wondering if os-prober went awol somewhere in the remastering. One of the cases I came across was on the Linux Format forum. The other was on this forum. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: yes, here it is. Seemingly confirmed in Ubuntu 10.10. Odd

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1647659

drs305
January 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM
Thanks coffeecat. I do seem to vaguely remember that now that you have dug it up...

carvish
January 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM

ubuntu 10.10