PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to backup /Home, but it is trying to copy 30X as much data

jimmy the saint
January 1st, 2011, 11:08 PM
My /Home is 8 Gigs (after a LOOONG purging process).

I am trying to back it up to do a fresh install and it is preparing to move 250+ Gigs of data! WTF? I don't have that much free space on my backup drive, so it is failing.

What can I do here?

Thanks

Edit: Now it's saying it needs to copy about 8 Terabytes! WTF is going on here?

Edit2: Now its 200 Terabytes!

Edit 3: Now its up to 234,000 Terabytes!

jimmy the saint
January 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM
This is nuts

AlphaLexman
January 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
Where are you backing up to?
It is possible to create an infinite loop during a backup... i.e. the backup file is being backed up!

jimmy the saint
January 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
That's kind of what I thought, but I tried to back it up to a remote server, then to a 32 Gig Thumb Drive, then to a 1.5 TB External drive.

I'm going to try to do it from a live CD and see what happens. Most bizarre thing that's happened to me yet.

Apparently Google should rent some storage space on my crappy laptop. I've got room to spare!

AlphaLexman
January 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
post your backup script or terminal entry

jimmy the saint
January 1st, 2011, 11:49 PM
No terminal entry. Just drag and drop.

The Live CD is working. Still a little over double the reported size, but 17 Gigs can be copied to an external drive.

262 petabytes would strain my budget this soon after Christmas!

AlphaLexman
January 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
You should look into 'rsync'

tgalati4
January 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Perhaps you are trying to backup the entire internet?

Do you have any symbolic links or remote disk mounts in your home folder? Perhaps a music directory on another machine?

"I'm gonna need a bigger disk . . ." :-?

stmiller
January 2nd, 2011, 01:10 AM
Yep - this won't work as it tries to infinitely copy hidden files and sym links.

Do something like this:

rsync -a /home/username /media/backupdrive

jimmy the saint
January 8th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys. Next time, I'll do this. I didn't really put much thought into it, as it was kind of a spur of the moment decision to travel with a fresh installation.