PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading between versions of ubuntu

mushypeas
January 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM
I have just installed ubuntu 10.10 on my netbook. When the next version comes out should I:

a) do a fresh install and wipe everything on the hard drive (backing up docs first); or
b) just upgrade using the update manager?

i.e. is B) less clean than a) and is b) more prone to problems?

Thanks

westgaard
January 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Just update using the update manager, works like a charm. I have never experienced any problems while upgrading to a newer Ubuntu-version, but backing up important files before upgrading is always a good idea.

waynefoutz
January 1st, 2011, 06:09 PM
I have just installed ubuntu 10.10 on my netbook. When the next version comes out should I:

a) do a fresh install and wipe everything on the hard drive (backing up docs first); or
b) just upgrade using the update manager?

i.e. is B) less clean than a) and is b) more prone to problems?

Thanks

I go the clean install way. Back up your /home directory and reinstall. If you want, follow this guide http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-create-a-separate-home-partition-in-ubuntu.html and put your /home directory on a separate partition so you can reinstall pretty much anytime you want without a hassle.

My experience with using Update Manager is that it's slow, it is a 3-4 hour process on the fastest of internet connections, and you usually end up with a sluggish buggy install.