PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing v10.10

vernula
January 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
im trying to change my boot settings to boot to cd first so that i can run v10.10 and install it onto my laptop. when i get into the bios settings and try to change to boot to cd it states that i have that option password protected. I just bought this referbished laptop and have never use linux. how can i change that so i can boot to cd and install v 10.10?

TeoBigusGeekus
January 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM
Didn't they give you the bios password?
If not, contact the place where you bought it from and ask for it.

westgaard
January 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
On desktop-computers you can reset the BIOS by using a jumper on the motherboard, but I guess it's a little more tricky on laptops.

But, on most computers you can press F2, F8 or something like that during startup to access a menu where you can choose where to boot from.

ajgreeny
January 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM
Is it a Toshiba?

Some of those have a locked BIOS when manufactured; for what reason I have no idea, but they nearly always have a key to press to get to the boot priority options.

Is there no manual for the machine? If not you should be able to do a simple google search using the laptop model as a search term.

vernula
January 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
No it is a referbished ibm thinkpad for my daughter, i got it from a referbished distributor.
i can access the bios settings but when i try to change the boot settings from hard drive to cd rom it states it is pasword protected. i cannot figure out how to turn the password setting off, so i can boot to cd rom.

the cd rom has ubuntu v10.10 on it which i downloaded and from what i understand i have to restart with the disc in the drive and follow promts; however when i restart it boots from hard drive and bypasses the cd rom.

any suggestions?

TeoBigusGeekus
January 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
I have a suggestion but it's a bit dangerous.
Try opening the laptop (carefully) and remove the battery from the motherboard.
Wait for half an hour or something and put it back in, then re-assemble the laptop and try again.