PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] lost boot partition on drive failure

mitomac
January 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Greetings,

We had a drive failure on /dev/sda. Everything 'except' boot was on raid5 across sda, sdb, sdc, sdd. I know how to repartition a new drive and rebuild the raid etc, but I don't know how to regenerate the files that reside on the boot partition. I really don't want to re-install as we have lot of custom code and software that may depend on our current libraries and build environment. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,

mitomac

lithopsian
January 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM
/boot contains kernel images, (almost certainly) initramfs images, system maps, and a few other less important kernel boot files. All these may have to be recovered from the CD although you can also download them. You will need as an absolute minimum a kernel image (vmlinux) and an initramfs (initrd.img) to boot. Once you are booted up again, a forced reinstall of your current kernel image package should give you the miscellaneous files.

Most important, /boot contains a grub directory but this can easily be recreated. Create yourself a good /boot partition and run update-grub to recreate your grub data. From the Live CD obviously :)

Hint for the future: place custom code on a separate partition, something like /opt is often convenient. Then it is much simpler to do a full reinstall without losing anything hard to replace.