PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] best way to display disk usage in terminal

muuwt1
January 1st, 2011, 03:19 AM
well ive been using

du -h h option for human readable

but its pretty cluttered and usually hidden files make things hard to read. i didnt see anything in the man files to exclude hideen files

also just discovered

ls -s -hs to display size and h for human readable

what do you all use?
muuwt

drs305
January 1st, 2011, 03:38 AM
I wrote a guide about disk space a while back. Section 4 deals with commands to help determine disk usage and some of their advantages/limitations:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670

Red Raven
January 1st, 2011, 03:40 AM
well ive been using

du -h h option for human readable

but its pretty cluttered and usually hidden files make things hard to read. i didnt see anything in the man files to exclude hideen files

also just discovered

ls -s -hs to display size and h for human readable

what do you all use?
muuwt

i'm new and may be way wrong, but wont gparted do it? sudo get-apt install gparted is the terminal command. to get it if you need it.

garvinrick4
January 1st, 2011, 03:48 AM
I wrote a guide about disk space a while back. Section 4 deals with commands to help determine disk usage and some of their advantages/limitations:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670 I have just noticed you have your guides in your signature was going to ask for a list to be posted.
If you have other guides would you mind posting in this thread.

drs305
January 1st, 2011, 03:56 AM
I have just noticed you
have your guides in your signature was going to ask for a list to be posted.

You can find many of my submissions by going to Search, Advanced Search and put "drs305" in the username and "Tutorials & Tips" in the search forum window. Some are a bit old but I try to keep them up-to-date. There are lots of great guides on the UF and limiting a search to a single user isn't probably the best way to find an answer.... ;-)

garvinrick4
January 1st, 2011, 04:29 AM
You can find many of my submissions by going to Search, Advanced Search and put "drs305" in the username and "Tutorials & Tips" in the search forum window. Some are a bit old but I try to keep them up-to-date. There are lots of great guides on the UF and limiting a search to a single user isn't probably the best way to find an answer.... ;-) That was a very nice method to find the quides you have taken time to write. I really have to learn to use this forum better and all it's features.

muuwt1
January 1st, 2011, 06:17 AM
i'm new and may be way wrong, but wont gparted do it? sudo get-apt install gparted is the terminal command. to get it if you need it.

apt-get :p

g parted is great for big picture disk usage, but when navigating in terminal, to see how much space is being used under a certain directory, ive found du and ls to be really helpful.

i checked out the tutorial. sweet, thanks