PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Couple of questions

Jon Anderson
December 31st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hi, I'm new to the group and looking forward to get my Ubuntu up and running(it will come in four weeks). I've been through this ( linux operating system) before 2 times, both of them not successful. It was my fault ,just couldn't understand the terms and language but now I'm having Window XP problems, it freezes all the time and is quite slow. Reloading the system still doesn't work, may be a corrupted DVD. I want very little out of the Ubuntu operating system. I spend a lot of time on the Internet, I would like E-mail program. I need a program like word pad and I need to be able to run a printer. My first two question is 1. I would like a free Internet book that's for raw beginners without running on and on to explain itself ,I want it concise. 2. I also want to know what is the best way to install Ubuntu ? Inside of windows or on its own partition. I want to point out again that it will be going into my window XP. The windows freezes and is slow and is possibly corrupted. My alternative is to buy a new Computer but if I can run this system successfully on Ubuntu I could save the money. I'm hooked up to cable, I have only 256k memory, a 100 g hard drive, I'll be looking for a response ,thank you.

Idaho Dan
January 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hi Jon,
when I first started using Ubuntu a couple of years ago I first installed it in windows xp using wubi. It worked just fine for me.Then I got brave and used gparted and put Ubuntu on its own partition.
In my opinion I'd say you really need more ram if you can afford it. Neither windows xp or Ubuntu will work up to expectations with only 256mb.
I have such a computer I keep around. I use puppy with it. Ubuntu would load, but it was just sooo slow.
Just my experience.

Dan.

s1wood
January 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
If you can still download off Windows make a Puppy disk and run it Live. You may be able to find out what your problem is, it has good system tools, if not you can probably do what you need to from Puppy without installing it - I don't know how good it is with printers though.

Susan

sandyd
January 1st, 2011, 12:58 AM
Hi, I'm new to the group and looking forward to get my Ubuntu up and running(it will come in four weeks).
I've been through this ( linux operating system) before 2 times, both of them not successful. It was my fault ,just couldn't understand the terms and language but now I'm having Window XP problems, it freezes all the time and is quite slow.
Reloading the system still doesn't work, may be a corrupted DVD. I want very little out of the Ubuntu operating system. I spend a lot of time on the Internet, I would like E-mail program. I need a program like word pad and I need to be able to run a printer.

My first two question is
1. I would like a free Internet book that's for raw beginners without running on and on to explain itself ,I want it concise.
2. I also want to know what is the best way to install Ubuntu ? Inside of windows or on its own partition. I want to point out again that it will be going into my window XP. The windows freezes and is slow and is possibly corrupted. My alternative is to buy a new Computer but if I can run this system successfully on Ubuntu I could save the money. I'm hooked up to cable, I have only 256k memory, a 100 g hard drive, I'll be looking for a response ,thank you.
a) you can't have 256kb memory, because those are anarchic, you wouldnt be able to use a 100 GB on one of those systems

b) Check out the ubuntu-manual.org
c) If windows freezes so much, and your not going to use it anyways, why not just use full ubuntu?
d) Upgrade the RAM. 256mb is too little for ubuntu. a 256mb DDR/2/3 can be found on newegg. the default ubuntu installation + metacity saves enough RAM to be able for you to run ubuntu with 512mb ram.
If your still using PC100 or RD RAM, I can mail a couple of sticks over, I got a lot of them here.

Jon Anderson
January 1st, 2011, 02:42 AM
a) your right I have 256mb in memory and I wouldn't want to be anarchic, it sounds like it might hurt
b) thanks for the book suggestion
c) I think I should save windows, so I can get on the Internet if I need help setting up Ubuntu
d) I have 256MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM DDR400 CL=3 got any of that around?

Thank you very much

nm_geo
January 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
Interesting .. I just booted up three of my OSs and checked the idling memory usage about 223 MiB Ubuntu Lucid 10.04, 194 MiB Natty 11.04 development version, Windoz XP approximately 500 MiB. It would appear that your XP would be slow as you are doing lots of pagefiling like swap partition on Linux box. Memory upgrade highly advised.

Checked Xbuntu 10.04 idling and it is about 120 MiB ..