PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Newb - a few minor annoyances...

~Maxx
December 31st, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi folks. I just got Lubuntu running on this ancient Compaq Deskpro. It's performing fantastically. Even Firefox is running better than I would have thought. I'm brand new to Linux though (toyed around with Xubuntu a few years ago, but lost interest), and I've got a few minor things I can't seem to find answers to. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction...

First off, I accidentally deleted the shutdown icon on the right side of the (bottom) panel or "taskbar", and I can't seem to get it back. I'm fairly sure it was listed as an "application launch bar", but there doesn't seem to be a shutdown option under that heading. In fact I can't find it anywhere in the "add/remove panel items" options. Any ideas? Along the same lines I'd love to have a "reboot" icon as well if anyone knows how to do that.

I'm also looking for a way to get the pc to actually power down when the shutdown option is selected. Currently it just logs you out of Lubuntu and stays on a screen that says something to the effect of "system halted". Is there a BIOS setting I'm missing?

Lastly - I'd like to find a way to change the NumLock state at startup. I never use the upper row keys, and it's rather annoying to start typing passwords, etc... only to find that the number pad is rendered all but useless when the system boots. I seem to recall having the same problem with Xubuntu. Not sure if I ever found a way to fix it.

I'm sure I'll be back with other things as I learn my way around, but these are the annoyances that I can't seem to find answers to on the web. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bluenoser81
December 31st, 2010, 02:55 PM
"Add to panel.." > Indicator Applet Session, or "Shutdown" for just the plain ol' big red button. The red button can also be used as reboot, just click on it and chose 'reboot' instead of shutdown. I don't know about the caps lock problem. Anyone?

~Maxx
December 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Bluenoser81. It would seem, however, that Ubuntu and Lubuntu have their differences in this regard. If I right click the panel and choose add/remove panel items, then select the "add" button, there is not an option labeled "shutdown" anywhere in the list. I can add an "indicator applet", but I have no idea what it "indicates" as it only seems to add a line of text to my panel saying "No Indicators".

I suppose it might be helpful if i set up some screenshots so that those of you not familiar with Lubuntu's gui differences could see what I'm working with. Unfortunately I haven't taken the time to learn about screenshots on this OS yet.

~Maxx
December 31st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Solved the numlock issue. Found an old reference to a "numlockx" package available in the repositories. Installed it. Worked like a charm!

Next?

cavalier911
December 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Restore the lxpanel power off button.
Simple Method to Restore Default Panel:
thread #11
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1490938&page=2

Try acpi=force to poweroff old hardware.
Open lxterminal

gksudo leafpad /etc/default/grub
Add whats in bold,save,close leafpad
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

sudo update-grub
Shutdown,reboot,shutdown

paparoo
December 31st, 2010, 06:20 PM
Maxx

Right click in a clean area of the panel. Choose 'Add to panel'. From the list, choose 'Shutdown'. Then click ADD at bottom.

It sounds like you're clicking ADD before you choose Shutdown.

All done. Good luck.

paparoo

verymadpip
December 31st, 2010, 06:58 PM
~Maxx,

I run Lubuntu on a couple of boxes & the guys on lubuntu irc channel are really helpful.

Fire up xchat from the internet category in the main menu, connect to freenode & join #lubuntu.

steve7777777
December 31st, 2010, 07:51 PM
...I'm also looking for a way to get the pc to actually power down when the shutdown option is selected. Currently it just logs you out of Lubuntu

I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 and the something similar just popped up. When I hit "shut down" the re-boots, instead of powering down. I've been using the the command line instead:

$ sudo halt

Not a big deal since the system is always on, but anyone know why "shut down" reboots?

~Maxx
December 31st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Restore the lxpanel power off button.
Simple Method to Restore Default Panel:
thread #11
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1490938&page=2

Try acpi=force to poweroff old hardware.
Open lxterminal

gksudo leafpad /etc/default/grub
Add whats in bold,save,close leafpad
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

sudo update-grub
Shutdown,reboot,shutdown
Both of these solutions worked perfectly, and without hassle. Thanks a million cavalier911!

Maxx

Right click in a clean area of the panel. Choose 'Add to panel'. From the list, choose 'Shutdown'. Then click ADD at bottom.

It sounds like you're clicking ADD before you choose Shutdown.

All done. Good luck.

paparoo
Just an FYI... Not sure which desktop you're using, but it seems to me like LXDE is a bit different from XFCE and GNOME. When I right click the panel and select "add/remove panel items" it opens up a list of what I already have on the panel. Clicking "add" from there will then produce a list of other items that can be added. "Shutdown" is not an option featured on either of these. Resetting to default seems to be the only way to get the icon back (based on the above post).

~Maxx,

I run Lubuntu on a couple of boxes & the guys on lubuntu irc channel are really helpful.

Fire up xchat from the internet category in the main menu, connect to freenode & join #lubuntu.
Fantastic! Thanks for the invite!