PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with GUI

pkj
December 31st, 2010, 11:35 AM
using ubuntu 9.04
Had a sudden problrm wherein the GUI has been lost..
On starting i reach commont line login prompt..

Since i have ubuntu 9.04 DVD, tried to reinstall, but to no good..Still getting command line prompt..

Any help on how to restore GUI

pkj

germanix
December 31st, 2010, 11:49 AM
try typing:
startx
in the command line, then press enter.

coffeecat
December 31st, 2010, 11:50 AM
Your main problem is that 9.04 has now passed end-of-life, which means that even if you manage to repair it, there will be no upgrades or software available from the routine repositories.

A couple of questions: when you say "tried to reinstall", did you finish reinstalling and still get no GUI, or did the reinstallation not finish? You were presumably getting the GUI once - did anything in particular happen just before the loss of the GUI? Did you change any hardware, or install anything? If you boot the live DVD, can you get a GUI?

Your best option in any event may be to rescue any personal data and reinstall with a newer, supported version of Ubuntu. What hardware do you have?

dasan
December 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM
give a try with latest version..

vacc73
December 31st, 2010, 12:05 PM
using ubuntu 9.04
Had a sudden problrm wherein the GUI has been lost..
On starting i reach commont line login prompt..

Since i have ubuntu 9.04 DVD, tried to reinstall, but to no good..Still getting command line prompt..

Any help on how to restore GUI

pkj
I know that this may sound silly,... But when it gets to the command line prompt for log in, go for coffee, go for a pee etc. I use 10.04lts and some times when it is booting up I get the command line prompt. It seems to last forever and I have rebooted etc, But I have found that, on my machine at least, it will wait at the prompt for a while then continue to boot.This is not the first installatiopn I have done where this has happened. Give it a try. I won't guarrantee anything but it might work oddly enough.

my machine
amd phenomII 965
8gig ddr2
gigabyte mobo w/780 amd northbridge
evga gts450 video card
YES you can play W.O.W. on ubuntu!!