PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Um, help? I accidentally screwed up bash.

skooterz
December 31st, 2010, 05:33 AM
EDIT: Never mind, I think I've solved it myself. I used PATH=$PATH: to re-add /bin/ and /usr/bin.

What happened was, I apparently remembered the command for setting your bash path wrong - I think I used "export PATH=$PATH: ~/bin" and apparently that was the wrong thing to do, because at first it wasn't finding ANY commands - I'd try and use "man" and it would give me "bash: man: no such file or directory". Next I tried setting things back the way they were with PATH= $PATH:/bin/bash/, but now only some commands work. e.g: "ls" does not work, though it tells me where it is. Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling? Please respond quickly.

cariboo907
January 1st, 2011, 06:59 AM
I marked the thread solved for you.

skooterz
January 1st, 2011, 07:33 PM
I marked the thread solved for you.

Thank you.

QLee
January 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM
And, just so you'll know, skooterz, ~/bin (the /bin that you can create in your user home folder) is by default in the user's path, if the directory exists, no need to change the path, it is added when you log in.

skooterz
January 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
And, just so you'll know, skooterz, ~/bin (the /bin that you can create in your user home folder) is by default in the user's path, if the directory exists, no need to change the path, it is added when you log in.

I see. I did not know that. I always assumed you would have to add it, given that it is not there initially.