PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Customize Applications Dropdown

inf4nticide
December 30th, 2010, 08:38 PM
So, there are some applications that I have downloaded without the use of the software manager that I can't seem to figure out how to put in the Applications panel...I use quicklaunch buttons anyways and it doesn't really matter but for consistency's sake I'd like to have them appear there, and if possible I'd like to rename/regroup/add more categorizations, etc

And while I've got your attention, where are the applications that come with Ubuntu stored?

Nytram
December 30th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Right click on the Applications menu and choose Edit Menus.

bowens44
December 30th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Right click on the menu and you will see an edit menus option.

inf4nticide
December 30th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Wow...can't believe I missed that one. That's a windows user for you

malibusurfer2
January 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 change primary menu heading names.

On the upper left panel, how can "Applications Places System" text names be changed (ie. Apps Places Sys)?

qyot27
January 10th, 2011, 05:59 AM
And while I've got your attention, where are the applications that come with Ubuntu stored?
Since this wasn't answered, usually in /usr/bin. There are other installation areas, though. Some system-wide stuff is in /bin, programs you compile yourself go in /usr/local/bin (or anywhere else you tell them to, if you define a custom install prefix).

The file hierarchy system that *nixen use is organized quite a bit differently than the way Windows does it. You can read about the Standard itself and a general breakdown of what the directories are meant for on the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard