PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No preview for attached files?

jermza
December 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM
So, I was sending an email, from Evolution, and to my surprise, when attaching a file (in this case, a picture), there was no preview. When I opened the Downloads folder (via the email's attach option) and navigated to find the file I wanted to attach to the email, I was presented with a list of names without an option to preview the image (since I don't tend to memorise the image file name).

This seems very primitive.

So, to work around that, I had to open the folder via Ubuntu's main menu and find the file and then take it to the opened email.

This can't be the way it is, surely?

mcduck
December 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Well, the file selection dialog is able to display previews, but the application developer has to tell it to do so.

Most likely Evolution's developers didn't enable that feature because such previews are only really useful for images, while e-mail attachments can be pretty much any types of files.. You'll usually see the preview in applications that only handle images.

You can of course send feedback to Evolution's developers and ask them to enable the preview. I kind of doubt they'd do that, though... :)

jermza
December 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Well, the file selection dialog is able to display previews, but the application developer has to tell it to do so.

Most likely Evolution's developers didn't enable that feature because such previews are only really useful for images, while e-mail attachments can be pretty much any types of files.. You'll usually see the preview in applications that only handle images.

You can of course send feedback to Evolution's developers and ask them to enable the preview. I kind of doubt they'd do that, though... :)

They won't enable previews? That's very backward.

In almost any email client, Gmail and web ones included, you can actually see a (large-ish) thumbnail of the image you want to attach to your email. Who memorises picture file names?

Very disappointing.

freesitebuilder
December 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I get previews in Evo when I attach image files, in the bar below "attach files" button. Is that what you mean?

jermza
December 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I get previews in Evo when I attach image files, in the bar below "attach files" button. Is that what you mean?

No. The step before that is where you attach the image (where you can only see a list of file names and not large-ish thumbnail previews of the images).

freesitebuilder
December 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Some of mine have thumbnails, but most just have the icon. I've never looked in to why this is.

Michael Dooley
December 30th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Check this setting in Nautilus:

Places, Home Folder, (up pops a Nautilus view) Edit, Preferences, Preview tab, change your preferences here to see thumbnail previews of kinds of file and file size.

Is this what you wanted?

jermza
December 31st, 2010, 07:54 AM
Check this setting in Nautilus:

Places, Home Folder, (up pops a Nautilus view) Edit, Preferences, Preview tab, change your preferences here to see thumbnail previews of kinds of file and file size.

Is this what you wanted?

That's all fine EXCEPT when you attach a file via Evolution. Try this: open a new mail in Evo and click on "attach file". The popup window offers only a list of file names with no preview, making attaching a few images slow (because you have to go via the system's main menu).

Michael Dooley
January 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM
That's all fine EXCEPT when you attach a file via Evolution. Try this: open a new mail in Evo and click on "attach file". The popup window offers only a list of file names with no preview, making attaching a few images slow (because you have to go via the system's main menu).

Gotcha! Fortunately, I use Thunderbird which has previews of image files under attachments. You might try posting the Evo behavior above as either a bug or suggest that image previews be added as an enhancement or extension. Does Evolution have extensions btw?

Good luck jermza!