PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows Backup in ubuntu

zammil
December 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Friends, I want to ask about windows backup in ubuntu.i have installed ubuntu and windows in two separate disks. so I'm able to see all system and boot folders in windows using ubuntu but ubuntu system files is not visible in windows.since windows is vulnerable to crashes and malicious threats i have to format windows often which is harmful to hard disk and time consuming also .so I'm thinking about backing up windows system files n ubuntu.I'm planning to copy windows folder including boot files in the c: drive on to the ubuntu system folder where it cannot be modified or is invisible to the windows operating system.so whenever my windows os gets affected i just have to log into ubuntu and replace the original windows folder with the one saved in ubuntu system folder so it is like a newly formatted windows os . This is just my imagination and i don't know if it will work or not that's why I'm asking you guys the professionals.plz tell me if it's possible or not or do i have to save the entire c: drive in ubuntu Thanks in Advance

cipherboy_loc
December 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
i have to format windows often which is harmful to hard disk and time consuming also

Formatting is not harmful to the hard disk.

since windows is vulnerable to crashes and malicious threats
Why not get an Anti-Virus program?

so whenever my windows os gets affected i just have to log into ubuntu and replace the original windows folder with the one saved in ubuntu system folder so it is like a newly formatted windows os
What about updates to you computer? You will have to "backup" your C:\ drive often to get all the update (Firefox, and a bunch of system updates). Unless you never update your Windows system, which would be another issue.

If I understand you correctly, I am doing something similar, where I compress the entire C:\ drive from Ubuntu and save it on an External Hard Drive.

So, if you get EVERYTHING, you should be fine.

Sorry if that seamed like a flame, I can remove most of it if you want,
Cipherboy

serdar255
December 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM
im sorry if im wasting anyones time but how do i make a post on the forum

blind2314
December 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Go to the section of the forum you want to post in, and click the "new thread" button, on the top or bottom left of the page, either one.

mike555
December 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
There are a number of backup /cloning programs for Windows , like xxclone , clonezilla,etc.

theozzlives
December 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
1. mount your windows partition.
2. Lets say it mounts in /media/disk:

sudo tar cvpzf windows.tgz /media/disk
3. To restore do:

sudo tar xvpfz windows.tgz -C /media/disk

zammil
December 31st, 2010, 03:24 AM
Formatting is not harmful to the hard disk.

I'm not sure about harmful or not but it is time consuming

Why not get an Anti-Virus program?

all anti virus programs cannot guarantee 100% security.the system is always prone to threats in case of windows.

What about updates to you computer? You will have to "backup" your C:\ drive often to get all the update (Firefox, and a bunch of system updates). Unless you never update your Windows system, which would be another issue.If I understand you correctly, I am doing something similar, where I compress the entire C:\ drive from Ubuntu and save it on an External Hard Drive. Cipherboy

I don't care about updates.i will specify it clearly.i will format my current windows os and then copy the new "windows" folder to ubuntu system folder.if anything go wrong in my windows os does restoring the windows folder in ubuntu make my windows as it where when it was formatted or do i have to copy the entire c: drive.will it work??or do i have to use windows cloning software???

zammil
December 31st, 2010, 06:28 AM
1. mount your windows partition.
2. Lets say it mounts in /media/disk:

sudo tar cvpzf windows.tgz /media/disk3. To restore do:

sudo tar xvpfz windows.tgz -C /media/disk

can u specify what it does i mean where does it mount the windows partition.to the ubuntu root folder or any other local disk.i only want the system folders to be restored

is this the easiest method compared to cloning softwares

theozzlives
December 31st, 2010, 12:11 PM
/media is a folder off the root folder /media/disk is just an example. Your Windows Partition may mount under a different name than "disk". The easiest way to mount is to go to places and click on your Windows filesystem, then go to /media and find what it calls the mountpoint of your Windows.

Concerning antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work well with GENUINE Windows and it's free.

Mark Phelps
January 2nd, 2011, 02:48 AM
...I only want the system folders to be restored

What you appear to be asking for is a way to save off only the "system" components of MS Windows -- and restore only those later.

This simply is NOT possible -- regardless of what anyone here may tell you otherwise.

Sure, you could try to identify the individual folders (of which there are hundreds!), but the major hangup is going to be the registry -- a collection of proprietary format files (known as "hives") that contain tens of THOUSANDS of entries -- only SOME of which are related to "system" components. You're NOT going to be able to save off only the "system" entries.

You would do better using an MS Windows app (one of the best Free ones is known as Macrium Reflect) to image off the MS Windows OS partition. That way, you could restore that later if needed -- but it will restore the entire partition.