PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Confused about volume

jermza
December 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Just feeling a little confused.

My system volume works fine and all that. But what is the best balance between system volume and music volume? I'm not quite sure where to set Rhythmbox's volume level (around half?).

How do you have your volumes set up?

Verbeck
December 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'm not quite sure where to set Rhythmbox's volume level (around half?).

couldn't you do that from rythmbox?

jermza
December 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
couldn't you do that from rythmbox?

Yes, but there are two volumes: the music player and the system. I'm really just curious where everybody else sets their music player's volume (so that it's balanced with the system's volume).

fibrebiz
December 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM
My media players are at 100% volume.

I tend not to go making applications quieter unless I'm playing a game or something where I need the sound but also want to hear my music. Then I'll reduce the volume of firefox.

mcduck
December 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Just feeling a little confused.

My system volume works fine and all that. But what is the best balance between system volume and music volume? I'm not quite sure where to set Rhythmbox's volume level (around half?).

How do you have your volumes set up?

Well, basically you'd want to keep the source volume level as high as possible, and then adjust the final output level to change the volume. This gives you best audio quality (higher volume in the music player application gives higher dynamic range.)

So my recommendation is keeping volume in all programs as 100%, and then adjusting the master to the listening level you like. Only touch the application volumes if you have several programs playing sound at the same time and wish to adjust the balance between them.

Of course if you use external amplifier or active speakers you'd want to keep even the master volume adjustment on your computer as high as possible and then adjust the sound level from the amp/speakers themselves, once again maintaining highest possible sound quality as long as possible...

Frogs Hair
December 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I set my volume at 80 % because I use an equalizer which increases the system volume. I have an external volume controls on the speakers and sub woofer that control treble , volume , and bass . I adjust these manually when listening to music.

If set system above 80% with the equalizer on or I get distortion. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/download-pulseaudio-system-wide.html