PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Move Window to a side of the screen?

turtlecloud
December 30th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Is there a way to quickly adjust the window you are looking at to quickly go to the left? In win7, it is the win key and the left and right keys. It automatically resizes to fit half the screen.

Soldier2580
December 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Yes there is :) it is one of the functions of compiz, called Grid. There you can choose what the shortcuts are, it's really easy :)

turtlecloud
December 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I cant find the Grid thing in Compiz. Using 10.10, and searching for it provides nothing.

Verbeck
December 30th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I cant find the Grid thing in Compiz. Using 10.10, and searching for it provides nothing.

install the package compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

Soldier2580
December 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Okay, can you tell me if you have installed compiz? And you'll need the compiz settings manager as well..

If not, an easy way to install them is via the Software Center. At least i think, but i believe this is how i did it back in the days :p
Open the software center and do a search for "compiz", you will see a few results, but you only need these two:
- Compiz - OpenGL window and compositing manager
- Advanced setting for compiz(ccsm)- CompizConfig (or something like it, just look for the "ccsm")

Install those, and normally, now, in the System>Preferences, you should see CompizConfig Settings Manager. That will open a window where you can easily adjust all the cool stuff ;)

[EDIT]: just do the above, and if that fails, do my idiot-proof version

Teabicky
December 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
This might be what you are looking for, it got me up and running.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/get-aero-snap-in-ubuntu/

turtlecloud
December 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
AeroSnap is basically what I want, but I don't really want to initialize the effect by dragging the window to a side. I want to initialize it through the button commands. When I use the grid function in Compiz, I map the command to the win+left or right key and nothing happens. Can someone help?

Teabicky
December 31st, 2010, 12:06 AM
Aaahhh, now I see. I don't know why mapping the keys doesn't work but i'll be interested to see a solution.

Soldier2580
December 31st, 2010, 09:08 AM
And does it work when you bind it to other shortcuts? I have Super + Keypad (number) bound to the grid, and that works, but then again, when I bind it to the arrow keys, it works too..

And no offense or anything, but make sure the 'enable grid' box is checked, I tend to forget it sometimes :p