PDA

View Full Version : interesting view of N Korean, linux and video of life in N Korea

sdowney717
December 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/08/23/north-korea-linux-red-star-os/

took some time to watch, you dont often see much about the life of N Korean people.
http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/commietux.png

MisterGaribaldi
December 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I found that very interesting!

Oh, yeah, and Red Star OS, too.

Spice Weasel
December 29th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Very interesting stuff. And terrifying.

It looks CentOS based.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 29th, 2010, 11:53 PM
damn, north korea is a scary place :|

Starlight
December 30th, 2010, 12:00 AM
It's scary to read some of the comments under the review that defend the North Korean government. O_O

smellyman
December 30th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Awesome videos. brave dude.

kaldor
December 30th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I've run it in a virtual machine. It's not a great distro overall due to being too outdated and strange.

Screenshots...

sdowney717
December 30th, 2010, 03:10 AM
one of their slogans is " peace comes at the end of a rifle."

What is scary is the cult of personality worship on the leader. And those sweet little kids indoctrinated into the cult. No room in the country for dissent. The young women working in those restaurants, shops and clubs and almost no one ever comes in. But I think they are the lucky ones versus being in the countryside.

And they see the value in Linux which is now universally recognized as being very good, truly a worldwide phenomena.
BUT, very few of their people will ever use it.

MisterGaribaldi
December 30th, 2010, 04:35 AM
One can only wonder what the people would do if their country collapsed and they had to go into the "rest of the world" to survive.

There's a certain cult masquerading as a world religion a couple hundred miles north of me, and based on what former members of that cult go through when they leave, it'll be a hard proposition for the North Korean people.

In many respects, actually, I think it'll be harder for the North Koreans to adjust than it was for the peoples of the former communist Soviet Union because it wasn't run as quite the religious cult that N.K. is, and those people were long disillusioned with their situation.

witeshark17
December 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Awesome videos. brave dude. Yeah +1 :KS

Khakilang
December 30th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I bet they don't have a single Apple or Microsoft computer and they could contribute to Linux market share.

MisterGaribaldi
December 30th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I'm just glad I don't live there. Well, there or a number of other places.

You'd *never* see anything like UbuntuForums start in N. Korea, China, or a bunch of other places, especially where they have oppressive governments.

rg4w
December 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM
one of their slogans is " peace comes at the end of a rifle."
They have a lot of Justin Hayward fans in NK?

kaldor
December 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I bet they don't have a single Apple or Microsoft computer and they could contribute to Linux market share.

They all use pirated copies of Windows on Dell machines.

asifnaz
December 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM
damn, north korea is a scary place :|

I am sorry but its not .I have been there and its not scary as being told on western media .If I have a camera and intention I can make any country look scary .

I could add many things but nature of the forum does not allow me .

ctrlmd
December 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
i didn't watch the video but i think i got the idea as usual
any country the disagree it become the worst and the most Terrifying place to live by and must be destroyed

kaldor
December 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I am sorry but its not .I have been there and its not scary as being told on western media .If I have a camera and intention I can make any country look scary .

I assume that as a traveler you will only have problems if you give them reason.

smellyman
December 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Actually N. Korea is scary, not all the people are scary of course, but that guy could of disappeared and we would've never have heard from him again.

The people have no access outside their borders. It is not the people who live there who are at fault. They only "know" that they are the best country on earth and that every other country is light years behind them.

asifnaz
December 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I'm just glad I don't live there. Well, there or a number of other places.

You'd *never* see anything like UbuntuForums start in N. Korea, China, or a bunch of other places, especially where they have oppressive governments.

Well I can only tell you not to see other with eyes of western media .
I have been told that US children are taught that US actually "saved"
japan by atomic bombing it .

I wish these were not ubuntu forums and I could let you see other side of the picture

Johnsie
December 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
North Korea is a beautiful place with very friendly people. Don't believe everything you hear on tv ;-)

Unfortunately due to the excessive censorship on these forums I don't have the freedom to go into much more detail withoutout breaking the terms and conditions.

asifnaz
December 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM
North Korea is a beautiful place with very friendly people. Don't believe everything you hear on tv ;-)

Unfortunately due to the excessive censorship on these forums I don't have the freedom to go into much more detail withoutout breaking the terms and conditions.

well said.

sent17inel
December 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Well I can only tell you not to see other with eyes of western media .
I have been told that US children are taught that US actually "saved"
japan by atomic bombing it .

I wish these were not ubuntu forums and I could let you see other side of the picture

I was raised in public school as well as 5 other siblings of mine and I can assure you that we were not taught that "the U.S. "saved" Japan by atomic bombing it."

I see the point you are making that Western media has a different outlook on the way history has taken place and I agree with you on that. The same thing happened with the way U.S. history was written about Native Americans until only recently has more truth come out about the injustices Native Americans have suffered. In this aspect I completely agree with you. But let me assure you that no member of my family was ever taught that dropping the Atomic bomb was in any way a good thing. I don't know who told you that U.S. schools were teaching this subject in this manner but it certainly was not happening in the schools I attended.

sdowney717
December 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
"the U.S. "saved" Japan

The atomic bomb was dropped to save US soldiers lives.
dropped as a way to end the war on US terms which was unconditional surrender. At the time there was little appreciation for Japs and quite a bit of hatred for the enemy military forces and militaristic government of Japan, which was well deserved. US only had two atomic bombs and used both but the Japanese military did not know that and could only assume the US would bomb the entire country into radioactive dust, as they would have done to their enemies, if they had the atomic weapons.

asifnaz
December 30th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I was raised in public school as well as 5 other siblings of mine and I can assure you that we were not taught that "the U.S. "saved" Japan by atomic bombing it."

I see the point you are making that Western media has a different outlook on the way history has taken place and I agree with you on that. The same thing happened with the way U.S. history was written about Native Americans until only recently has more truth come out about the injustices Native Americans have suffered. In this aspect I completely agree with you. But let me assure you that no member of my family was ever taught that dropping the Atomic bomb was in any way a good thing. I don't know who told you that U.S. schools were teaching this subject in this manner but it certainly was not happening in the schools I attended.

Perhaps you were atleast told US liberated Japan . Look IMHO people are shown only one side of story . It is our duty to do some research on our part . Ever heard phrase " weapons of mass destruction" this was said so many times that US people actually believed it .

Evil-Ernie
December 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Getting too political here, lets remember that this is computing forum please.

Elfy
December 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Closed.