PDA

View Full Version : When did you move to Linux as your Primary system

samalex
December 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Just curious, when did everyone finally move to Linux as their primary operating system, dropping Windows, Mac, or whatever else. Granted many of us still use Windows or Mac on the side for whatever reasons, but I'd assume most people in here use Linux 95% if not 100% of the time. Also this is on your personal computer, not work (if there is a difference for you).

So when did you make the final switch? What did you come from? And what finally convinced you to make the jump to Linux?

For me it was around 2000 or 2001. I was running Windows 2000 Pro on my primary desktop at home and after getting a virus thanks to Napster I wiped Win 2000 (enough was enough) and installed Red Hat, which I had been running on a second computer since around 1996.

Spr0k3t
December 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I dabbled back in 2000-04 with a few distros... but never really made the kill/switch until 05. Back in 2000, it just wasn't ready for the masses... but it was getting pretty close.

KaYnemO
December 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I tried it first time in 1998 and it was a bit too raw to use for me then. Later, my friend hooked me up with a Suse distro (2004 i think) and since then I haven't used windows on any machine that I 've owned :)

3Miro
December 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Dual-booting since 2001. Full time Linux since 2008, when wine improved sufficiently to allow me to play the games that I wanted.

Evil-Ernie
December 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Been aware and dabbling with Ubuntu for years and its been a slow curve of usage over time rather than a sudden change.

It wasnt till about Jaunty that I was using Ubuntu solidly for a lot of my computer work, so I would put 2009 when Ubuntu overtook XP for my useage.

I still have XP knocking around by its rarely booted these days.

NightwishFan
December 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I started using Ubuntu some time in 2007. After about a month I wiped Windows Vista. I used Ubuntu probably 90% of the time, with the 10% in between shared between OpenSUSE, Fedora, and Debian.

kostkon
December 29th, 2010, 05:03 PM
My date: April 2005

Trying to get rid of my Windows ME install and after failing to boot with X on Debian, I tried Ubuntu (5.04, aka Hoary Hedgehog) and I was totally impressed with it. Everything worked. Oh and I ran some version of Mandrake for a few months in a dual boot conf with Win ME (obviously).

cgroza
December 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I first installed Ubuntu in the Hardy days and when Intrepid was 3 months away from release. I dualbooted for like 2 months. I used Windows just for games but as I got older
I gave up on them and wiped Windows away.
I think I have 3 years since I am using it as the only OS around in my home.

asifnaz
December 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I had listened of Linux but never think about it . In april this year I requested an Ubuntu CD I didnt expect they would really send me . The CD arrived I dual booted it with XP and absolutely HATED it .

I had no idea how to do things in it . When people asked me to use terminal I was like " what is that , How can I use command line "

slowly I started liking it . Now I spend 90% of my time with Ubuntu
and 70% time on web using ubuntuforums.org

oldos2er
December 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I stopped using DOS/Win late 1993, early 1994. Started using Linux as sole OS in July 2007. Used OS/2 + eComStation in the long interim.

jhsu802701
December 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
From the poll, I see that many of you migrated to Linux around the same time I did.

Until early 2007, I was a dyed-in-the-wool WIndows user. It wasn't because I liked Windows but because I wasn't aware of viable alternatives. I thought of Linux as something for only the most hardcore geeks could use. My perception of Linux was something that required compiling kernels (whatever that is) and lots of other mumbo jumbo.

I had heard about how insecure Windows was and had already switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox before I even thought about using Linux. I was using Windows 98 at home, and I heard that support had been terminated and that I had to "upgrade" to a newer version of Windows. Of course, I knew that a newer Windows OS would run much slower than the old one. Then Vista came out, and I heard so many bad things about it - its refusal to work with printers and other hardware (thus forcing users to replace even more equipment), its bugginess, and its ENORMOUS hardware requirements. Except for top-of-the-line models, even new computers weren't fast enough for Vista.

That's when I decided it was time to start using Linux online and to use my Windows 98 computer offline. I bought a used computer and installed Fedora Core 1 (from the book _Linux for Non-Geeks_) on it. Not everything worked, but I was amazed by how little I needed to use command line. I was amazed by the Windows-like feel I was used to. I switched to Damn Small Linux, then Puppy Linux, then minimal Ubuntu, and I'm now using antiX Linux as my main distro. And I no longer use Windows at home.

TriBlox6432
December 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM
First tried a live CD: Hardy
First Installed: Intrepid
First Actually Usable: Jaunty

Use Ubuntu for 95+% of my stuff. Use XP only at school and sometimes Win7 on my mum's desktop when I feel like it.

wojox
December 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Pretty much the same day I installed it, April 1, 2009. (Ubuntu 8.10)

Came from a strong Windows background so it wasn't to hard to fall in love with this Operating System.

wmcbrine
December 29th, 2010, 08:45 PM
1996. What do I win? :D

Famicube64
December 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Never. Windows works where Linux fails, at least it does for me.

oldsoundguy
December 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Started trying with Mandrake 4.
Distro after distro and frustration after frustration to get ALL of the hardware to run out of the box without spending hours in terminal ....
UNTIL a couple of friends turned me on to Ubuntu 6.04 and everything I had just worked. (and continues to work through all of the updates/upgrades)(Skype is the ONE exception that has turned into trash .. courtesy of Skype)

Still have a Windows box .. but it never goes on line and is my photography (way too many bucks tied up in Adobe to NOT use it)/music-midi/PDA sync/Logitech Harmony One sync/print server box.

dgw
December 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I switched about 2 years ago, and I wish I had done so sooner. One of the reasons I didn't was that even though I wanted to try linux, I was afraid that if I tried to install it, I would remove Windows, be unable to get linux working, and need to take the computer for repairs. I once went 4 days without internet because my power was out in a big storm, and it was traumatic. I only had one computer and couldn't imagine being away from it for even a few days.

Then one day a friend (who was probably trying to scam me...) sold me a piece-of-**** laptop for $50. It was held together by duct tape. I installed Ubuntu on it the day I got it, and I switched to linux permanently that day. The piece-of-**** laptop was eventually replaced by a new Dell with pre-installed Ubuntu, which I wiped to install Ubuntu with full-disk encryption.

brookie
December 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
moved the whole family over to ubuntu about 2008, hardy, jaunty, karmic, and now lucid.

i wanted to play movies. windows media player always pixelated, not clear, needed codec packs, and our old machines sounded like rockets waiting to launch! i couldn't browse the web and watch a movie in xp, without the movie lagging or hanging on the external screen.

we didn't like itunes drm, and as a pc tech for years i hated cleaning up all my friends windows pcs. ...and i'm still working on their pcs, "hey this thing is all borked, yada, yada, yada..."

usually viruses, trojans, completely fragged hdds, and more. i usually back up their stuff and do a clean install.

strange thing is that lucid runs great on all my old laptops and we love it! wish we could afford some newer faster machines for video editing and stuff.

unfortunately, i haven't been able to convert a single windows user to date, and i don't care because borked up windows pcs = beer money! :)

anyhow, ubuntu is all we run in this family!
cheers

Habeouscorpus
December 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I made the switch over Thanksgiving. Did a Wubi install, then after GRUB took a dump on me, I formatted and didn't look back at my Windows XP. I still have the restore disk though... :P

Ubuntu is my primary and only!

beetleman64
December 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I first tried Linux (Ubuntu actually) in 2007. I used various distros more and more, before finally installing it is my sole OS with the release on 9.10 last year. I was using it equally with windows for a few months before that, thuough.

desnaike
December 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I bought a logitech webcam and mouse in 2005 they had no support for win2000 pro so I tried ubuntu full support out of the box never looked back.

gis_sweden
December 29th, 2010, 10:07 PM
im a brand new ubuntu user! converted yesterday. cant believe i didnt do i earlier! so easy. so smoth. so simple. the installation was no problem. i bought i new hd and tried to install xp. faild. angry. desided to go ubunto!

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 29th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I chose 2004-2006 in the poll.

I've used computers before Microsoft or Apple existed. In the early 1970's at University and at NASA, my first engineering job, we used Unix. However, my first home computer had a 6800 8-bit microprocessor and ran OS-9 which was a Unix like operating system.

I upgraded to an IBM XT 186 or 286 computer in the 1980's that ran DOS. Then upgraded operating systems and computers from Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP. I was looking for Freeware/Shareware programs along the way and found some of them to be better than the proprietary paid for software.

All the while I was using Microsoft Windows at home, I was still using Unix, Solaris, VMS, etc., at work. So when Microsoft finally made me angry with the way they treated home users, it wasn't hard for me to find an alternative. Windows is still a viable OS if that is what is needed to get the job done or if that is the OS you choose to use; however, for my needs the company pushed me away from using Windows at home as my primary OS. I used Red Hat, KNOPPIX, Debain, Gentoo, SLAX, Slackware, SuSE, Arch, Mandrake, and so on. I finally used Ubuntu as my primary OS with the release of 6.06. I still experiment with of other distros as I may choose to switch distros if I don't like the direction the Ubuntu distro is headed.

GabrielYYZ
December 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Pretty much the same day I installed it, April 1, 2009. (Ubuntu 8.10)

Came from a strong Windows background so it wasn't to hard to fall in love with this Operating System.

^ this, except i switched to ubuntu a week before 10.10 was released, didn't use lucid much. other than that, i switched to ubuntu as primary the same day i installed it.

what did it for me was that i was using windows xp and about a week or 2 before installing ubuntu, win xp crashed and i lost a ton of stuff. i started looking for a place that sold win 7 here, but every store had either the basic version or the spanish version of the ultimate edition.

spanish is my first language but i abhor it as the language of the OS i use, i just prefer english. so i started looking for that "linux thing" i had heard before to see what was it about, i found ubuntu and thought i'd try, since i didn't really have anything to lose.

the rest, as they say, is history, i'm currently running kubuntu and loving every second of it. even the troubleshooting is more fun on linux than on windows (for me, at least) :p

Legendary_Bibo
December 30th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I use Windows a lot on my netbook when I don't feel like dragging around my big laptop, and just want to do some websurfing, or have to type an essay. I would still consider Ubuntu/Linux as my primary OS on my laptop which I don't use as much, but because I use it for everything else, even for playing games. I moved to Linux when Vista game me the black screen suicide over a year ago, and the customer service was freaking useless, and wouldn't even send me a recovery disc.

Kalimol
December 30th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I'll speak for the 50% of respondents who voted 07-09 but apparently didn't post: Vista. = P

HappinessNow
December 30th, 2010, 04:18 AM
December 2010 when Google sent me a free Google Chrome OS CR-48 Cloudbook, I'm hooked now and there is NO turning back.:p

SunnyRabbiera
December 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Around 2004 ish is when I first started to use Linux as my primary OS, I now dual boot Windows 7 but ubuntu blows it out of the water on so many levels...
More stable, less resource hungry and mostly... no bloody bluescreens!

Khakilang
December 30th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I was playing with Ubuntu 8.10 in 2009. But because I don't have any internet access and couldn't download any software. I hold it until this year April. Now it is my primary computer.

Legendary_Bibo
December 30th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I'll speak for the 50% of respondents who voted 07-09 but apparently didn't post: Vista. = P

lol. That was my reason :P

wltdwiz
December 31st, 2010, 11:02 PM
went all the way
by by windows ):P
about 2 years ago

haven't looked back \\:D/

i love linux it rocks :guitar:

thanks ubuntu

& everyone on the forums

kellemes
December 31st, 2010, 11:15 PM
I use what os works best or is needed for the job. Linux isn't perfect by far for all tasks so alternative os's are needed occasionally. Also I don't want to be locked in to some system, including Linux/Ubuntu.
Currently about 90% of my work I do from Linux, started using it (some early Red Hat I believe) about 10/12 years ago..
Ubuntu always had my interest but never became my primary distribution, I want to be in total control of my system so I'm a happy Arch user for many years now..

Schrute Farms
January 1st, 2011, 07:02 AM
November of '09. My desktop took a dump, so I was forced to use the laptop for a while. My 10 year old was basically the only person who used it for the past year and a half, so you know it was riddled with viruses. I just decided to back up everything & re-install XP from the restore disc. At first it ran great, but after 5 years worth of windows updates, it was slow as molasses again. A friend told me about Ubuntu, so I gave it a shot. I was impressed, but 9.10 had video driver issues (ATI), so there was no open GL or Compiz. 8.04 worked great though, so I used it until 10.04 came out. Lucid worked on it, so I switched.

In late summer I got my desktop working again. Even though XP ran fine on it, I immediately installed Ubuntu. Because of video driver issues again (ATI) I could run 9.10 but not 10.04. A switch to Nvidia and I've been running Lucid on the desktop since August.

I still dual boot with XP on both machines, but the only time Windows is up is for games, maintenance and backups on the NTFS drives. I do what little scanning I do on windows also. XSane messes up the scans after the first few, and I don't like Simple Scan.

Irihapeti
January 1st, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm one of the silent 50%. I installed Feisty in July 2007, dual booted with Vista for 2 months and erased Vista when I realised I was only booting into it to do the updates. I've played with a number of other Linux variants, and at one point thought I might have to move to one of them, because my main computer was unbootable in Lucid. Anyway, the bug got fixed and I stayed put.

I believe in using the OS that makes the most sense in the circumstances. I may have to reinstall Vista for an online training course that I'm wanting to do next month. I'm hopeful I can get Ubuntu to play nicely with the software, but in this case it's more important to me to do the training rather than insist on using Linux.

wilee-nilee
January 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Started as a new computer user about 4 years ago, Ubuntu Dapper was the first OS. Didn't even start MS until buying a new computer with XP a year ago.

To be honest I think starting on open source was a advantage, I'm not afraid of the cli.

stmiller
January 1st, 2011, 07:07 PM
circ 2000/2001 ish? I think.

I was part of the general desktop migration:

redhat 7.2 -> mandrake -> fedora 'core' -> ubuntu

Never looked back!

gnomeuser
January 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
June 1999, I had used it in a dual boot configuration for about a year prior to that.

DeMus
January 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
I started Ubuntu with Hardy in 2008, but still parallel to Windows XP because I had to finish editing a movie. As soon as the movie was ready, which took me a whole year, I backed-up my data, re-formatted the disks and only used Ubuntu, now with Jaunty. I switched in 2010 to Lucid which was not a success and moved on to LinuxMint 9 Isadora which I still use as my only system. It's stable, it looks good so I will use it for a longer period of time. It is an LTS version so I can use it for a longer period of time.

takisan
January 1st, 2011, 07:32 PM
I've been switching back and forth since 08. I hope to get a file and download server running this year. (I'm still in High School, and our school forcibly uses windows, though I've given lots of evidence that Linux is better).

weasel fierce
January 1st, 2011, 08:19 PM
Just at the tail end of Warty Warthog. The next one (Hoary?) came out a month or two later

V for Vincent
January 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM
During Feisty. So first half of 2007.

areteichi
January 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
GNU/Linux became my primary system soon after I tried it for the first time in 2006 with Dapper Drake. I've been a committed Ubuntu user ever since :D